Best twinshock ?

superspark79

We all have our own tastes but, as a veteran of the era and having an SWM now and recently aTY200, I think most folk would agree that, unmodified, a Fantic is the "best" in terms of performance and reliability along with ease of riding - particularly the 200.

There was good reason for almost every bike at a trial being red at one time.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Any particular reason for Spanish?

I was looking at Bultacos, but several reliable people persuaded me into getting a TY175 instead because of parts availability and cost, and because it's notorious as a solid beginner machine

No logical reason , just love the look of the Bultacos / Montesas of the late 70/80s

The problem with bikes of certain era, the time when Bultaco, Montesa etc ruled the roost, sections were set out with these bikes in mind. Now, certainly the twinshock trials I ride are getting tighter and trickier,  making history repeat itself , by having the need for a bike lighter, easier to ride hence the continued  rise of  even more  Fantic's, Hondas,  Majesties and even trick TY's.  If you are happy to ride to a moderate level then stick with the Spanish theme, if you are a good experienced  rider stick with the theme as well,  as a stick to beat yourself with.  If not a Fantic or TY Yamaha would be perfect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metisse said:

The problem with bikes of certain era, the time when Bultaco, Montesa etc ruled the roost, sections were set out with these bikes in mind. Now, certainly the twinshock trials I ride are getting tighter and trickier,  making history repeat itself , by having the need for a bike lighter, easier to ride hence the continued  rise of  even more  Fantic's, Hondas,  Majesties and even trick TY's.  If you are happy to ride to a moderate level then stick with the Spanish theme, if you are a good experienced  rider stick with the theme as well,  as a stick to beat yourself with.  If not a Fantic or TY Yamaha would be perfect. 

Thanks , very useful info ..... I,d definitely fall into the moderate category

Mick Andrews knew what he was doing, and Yamaha built them... Still more than capable with a decent rider on them.And so easy to live with,mine is a pile of scrap,built out of junk from Ebay.The engine is made out of 3 or 4 boxes of bits,only bought a base gasket and a set of rings.My kids go off playing on it whenever they want.I use it for fun or searching for dead trees to cut.(Firewood,our woodburner is our only heat source) Oil the chain and add fuel - isn't that what they say about modern bikes ? (I guess this is the same without depreciation)

IMAG0245.jpg

Edited by jon v8
  • Like 4

Of the Spanish bikes a Bultaco would be the easiest to work on and get parts for.That being said I feel more comfortable on my TY250 than I do on my 325 Bultaco in most situations except for any kind of steep climb.Then the Bultaco motor really shines.

From what I have read on here the 199 and 199A model Buls have the most linear power delivery with the earlier and later models being a bit more abrupt,but I could be wrong on that.That statement might also apply to the 159 model on up to the 199A.