Always Wondered?

billyt

39 minutes ago, billyt said:

What do lefties do with a right hand throttle?

Do they just adapt?

Do they switch the throttle over to the left hand side?

I there any top world or national rider who is a leftie?

I've never known any lefthanders feel the need to change to a left hand throttle, and would question whether they'd actually gain an advantage. It could be argued that clutch control is a vital element of the fine skills of trials riding, and all the right handers cope with that no problem, just as lefties do with the throttle.

When James Toseland quit Motogp I always wondered why he didn't just try a left handed throttle and brake system, it might have taken a huge amount of brain training but at the very least he could've tried instead of moaning.

His right hand would've done very little then.

This is a very random post, sorry.

The very fact that the op has mentioned a left handed throttle has set me off.

Is there such a thing ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rotors7 said:

When James Toseland quit Motogp I always wondered why he didn't just try a left handed throttle and brake system, it might have taken a huge amount of brain training but at the very least he could've tried instead of moaning.

His right hand would've done very little then.

This is a very random post, sorry.

The very fact that the op has mentioned a left handed throttle has set me off.

Is there such a thing ?

Yes, albeit home made.  I tried the guys bike and it was WEIRD....... to say the least.  

**** Billy, they just mount the bike backwards and sit on the bars! Don`t tell me you never rode a bike backwards? I started on bicycles and moved up to full size bikes. In the seventies there were a couple of guys that did this for a living in the states. Mainly doing simple things, but some could do high speed wheelies. Being right handed I sometimes crashed. At pushing 60 I only ride bicycles backwards anymore.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, b40rt said:

I've often wondered how left handed people manage to shake hands, confusing at best !

Took me years to get used to using my right hand to greet people, isn't it an insult in some cultures to greet with your left hand ?

I remember something about left hand throttles in a Sammy Miller book from way back when and how difficult it was to use... it had been set up for a friend with an injury.

Edited by spen

10 hours ago, cabby said:

I wonder how rightys get on with the clutch ?

Do they adapt ?

Do they switch it over to the right hand side ?

:blink:

No. As stated, they don't "adapt" because the clutch has always been on the left. Same reason lefties don't need a left hand throttle.

serious question

On a RHD auto, is the gas pedal on the right or left?

I'm a Devils Child (lefty), and to me a left hand throttle would be weird.

On the other hand, (no pun intended) the left side kicker on Betas is just what the doctor ordered.

Edited by slicktop
  • Like 1