300rr headlight circuit, AC or DC?

jmutiger

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone can confirm which power gets to the headlight plug on the 300rr? 

I'll be using the bike at night a fair amount and need it to power some kind of light that will allow me to see.  Once I know for certain the power I can figure out my options. 

Thanks! 

A standard 4RT is 12v DC and as the 300RR is built basically on the same platform, unless they changed it witch I doubt, I am going to say its the same.  However As I don't get my 300RR tell the end of April I can't confirm for you.

Edited by jonnyc21

Great, 1 vote ac, one DC.  Anyone out there qualified enough to meter the circuit and confirm?  There's likely more juice available as it is normal to have more than you need on a fuel injected bike.  I suspect it's somewhere around 35w total, but would like to know if it's actually more. 

Thanks 

well I can tell u I'm a master electrician with 34 years experience, and I ordered the headlight kit thru banyeres and was surprised it came with the osram bulb same as I had been installing in customers homes for years, I have to get to work now so cant meter the circuit but look up the bulb I quoted and check the specs, its the bulb that came from Honda montesa

for what it worth you can buy a road kit in the AU should be able to check there to see if ac/dc should be enough to run a trailtec light or one like it . If you can run headlights tail light and turn signals .good luck hey post what you find out okay

on line manual shows (http://www.montesa4rt.nl/)

HEADLIGHT = 12V 35/35W

Also from the manual

Regulator type SCR shorted/triple phase, full wave rectification -so basically the AC is being converted to DC

Looking at all the other power drains on the road going bike would suggest there is a fair bit of capacity in the system

Thanks JimmyL, I have seen circuits on bikes where the headlight is not rectified, thus ac.. And the fan gets the regulated DC signal.  If I can find a wiring diagram I might be able to figure out what to expect.  I'm ordering parts and it makes a difference as to what I buy obviously. 

Thanks! 

Jon 

25 minutes ago, jmutiger said:

... If I can find a wiring diagram I might be able to figure out what to expect. ...

See the manual available via the link that JimmyL provided. You can download the PDF manual for a 2016 300RR in English. Wiring diagram for the European street legal version (2ED) is on page 6-16 and the competition version (4ED) is on the next page. See the 4-pin connector on the latter (located near headstock) for where street legal sub-harness attaches to the main wiring harness for power.

Edited by sportsawyer

Hard to get in the US but I have a road kit for my 07 4RT and last time I had a volt meter on the bike when I was checking everything so I could make sure it was all setup good was DC to all the lighting.  The blinker/flasher/winker relay is a DC relay so I have a hard time thinking it would work at all with an AC input. 

I can put the meter back on tonight and double check things if you want and no one else has by then.  :thumbup:

Hope that helps. 

35 minutes ago, reggie said:

With the stock headlight turned on, hook up your oscilloscope and you will be able to tell if the signal is AC or DC.

Or look at the diagram - especially as I've left my oscilloscope next to my flux capacitor:D

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I think it's safe to say it's a DC system at that connector.  I'll see if I can figure out a part number for a plug that can go into that plug so I'm not chopping any wires on a new bike, then simply put that plug on the back of what ever light I end up with.  Right now I'm leaning towards a Cyclops Adventure sport B15 model (just one of them, but until I have the bike I'm not sure if I'll go that way or a tradtional moto headlight with a LED bulb stuck in it.  Generally the light pattern on Moto reflectors is not great.  If I had enough juice I could probably power 2 B15's and spread the light out more.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-B15-LED-Auxiliary-light-kit_p_158.html

Jon