300rr headlight circuit, AC or DC?

jmutiger

FYI: The ACG output is listed as 160W. 

I don't know how much of that is used by the bike but I do know it has what it takes to run a euro light kit with the standard 12V 35/35W headlight tail light and blinkers without issue so...

I should also list the reference link for that information...

http://montesatrials.com.au/store/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/PK-COTA-300RR_ENG_2017.pdf

Edited by jonnyc21
added reference link.

hello, I was able to look at the wiring diagram , and I'm finding it looks like the alternator produces ac current that is then converted to dc at the regulator / rectifier and distributed to all the voltage dependent items on the bike in the form of 12v dc on the red and green wires, so I believe the headlight is working on dc, sorry for the confusion, the 20w 12v bulb that came with my oem headlight kit is a gu4 bulb and can be run at either ac or dc so it threw me for a loop because I knew I had used that same bulb on common household low voltage fixtures on ac power source items, hope this helps

jeff

one more thing I wanted to add is that it should be noted I believe the 20w bulb is used because of the excessive heat produced by incandescent halogen type bulbs, I notice my headlight kit is almost melting the plastic with the 20w bulb installed I'm nervous idling too long with no airflow past the bulb , I think it might melt the plastic. I also found the motorcycle will not start with the headlight switch left in the on position, so don't forget to turn it off at every engine shutdown or u will find extremely hard starting conditions created.  

• Like 1

Oh and thanks for the warning on the standard headlight kit.  Good to know it heats up that much. 

Just double checking, but is it the kit that looks like this? (this is the 2017 stickers but I believe its the same headlight assembly)

540716-16x9-lg.jpg

hi,

the second photo is the kit I ordered for mine in 2015, I think the microfiche calls it the headlight visor , when its ordered as a kit it comes with the visor , wiring harness, switch , mounting bracket ,mounting screw, ty raps and bulb as a complete package for just over a hundred bucks. it is extremely bright and lights up the trail very well at night, much better than my tl125 or tl250 that I restored for my wife and I . also I noticed it weighs only an ounce more than the oem number plate supplied with the bike, I keep mine on all the time for the team bike look. all the team bikes run the racing headlight. u have to order a separate brake cable guide in black to get that.   I didn't like the idea of having to lift the fuel tank each time to unplug it so I installed a molex mx150 style connector behind the visor for quick removal for fork service or installing the number plate if desired. if u order this headlight note that the switch mounts with the red button facing down, I had to source extra switch mounting washers to keep the switch securely mounted.

the gentleman in spain with the website full of optional accessories is a really great experience to order from , I believe he was a factory team minder years ago. he hand signed a thank you note in the package and also included a collectible decal for a nice extra bit of kit to make his customers happy.

I was lucky and found a rod kit for sail on Ebay by someone willing to ship to the US.  I have had to source a few parts in other ways as a part or two where missing. 

At the time I picked it up I lived in a state that had a lot of trails connected by sections of road and was going to plate it so I could ride a few good loops. I moved to ID and so haven't needed it with all the good off road riding out here so will likely keep it just in case I need it in the future.