Cotton Cavalier Minarelli motor parts

old trials fanatic

Just now, woody said:

Have you tried Paul Powell at Cotton Owners. They have Minarelli parts

http://www.cottonvilliersspares.co.uk/

He refuses to deal with me and has requested I don't contact him ever again. Says I was rude and abrupt when I purchased some crankcases over the phone from him that would have required extensive welding which was obvious when I unpacked them. Obviously I complained and he replaced them with a perfect pair. I thanked him and thought it was all done and dusted but apparently not for him. So now I have a box of bits and need parts but don't know where to get anything from. Can see why people don't ride these any more. Thanks for the input Dave. 

28 minutes ago, old trials fanatic said:

He refuses to deal with me and has requested I don't contact him ever again. Says I was rude and abrupt when I purchased some crankcases over the phone from him that would have required extensive welding which was obvious when I unpacked them. Obviously I complained and he replaced them with a perfect pair. I thanked him and thought it was all done and dusted but apparently not for him. So now I have a box of bits and need parts but don't know where to get anything from. Can see why people don't ride these any more. Thanks for the input Dave. 

Why not get someone else to phone up and get them sent to their place ?

• Like 1

Hi Guy's.

Hi Paul,

Why? Stop it , your a lovely Guy.

So why cause so much trouble.

It is so much easier to get on with people.

By the way "Bessie" sends her love, and people are interested in parts of her again, that you created, so you see, you are liked in "Parts"

Regards Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott
To many letters in HER

Another possibility - Steve Goode. He's reasonably knowledgeable on Cottons, probably hasn't anything himself but may know sources for Minarelli parts

A real long shot is Vale-Onslow in Birmingham, they used to carry parts for just about everything in the 70s and still have stock from then. I'm not sure how hard they'll try to look for stuff but maybe worth a try

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, graham66 said:

Hi otf, cannot help with parts - sorry, but if the reg no. Is GYG 26J I used to own it, in the mid seventies. Great bike, oh the nostalgia.

Hi as far as i know the bike wasnt registered. Be interested in what your experiences were with the bike. Plus points as well as negatives.

One of the reasons for buying it was that i have an idea that it would be a good thing to introduce a class primarily on the easy route for what i have euphemistically termed "forgotten era" namely the Sachs engined bikes, Puch engined ones, Greeves Pathfinders, Saracens, Sprites Alta and McLaren Suzukis, Radial fin Bultacos etc in fact all those bikes that i and many others owned and we all grew up with but you never see them now other than making zombie like appearances at shows which i find really sad. These bikes were made to be used and ridden in competition.

So i thought the best way to get the ball rolling was to get one and ride it in my clubs trials. Then i came upon the problem that i am now unable to obtain parts for them :( Oh well good idea while it lasted. Back to the James and Bantam. Would have been nice to see something different being ridden though.  

• Like 2

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:20 PM, old trials fanatic said:

Hi as far as i know the bike wasnt registered. Be interested in what your experiences were with the bike. Plus points as well as negatives.

One of the reasons for buying it was that i have an idea that it would be a good thing to introduce a class primarily on the easy route for what i have euphemistically termed "forgotten era" namely the Sachs engined bikes, Puch engined ones, Greeves Pathfinders, Saracens, Sprites Alta and McLaren Suzukis, Radial fin Bultacos etc in fact all those bikes that i and many others owned and we all grew up with but you never see them now other than making zombie like appearances at shows which i find really sad. These bikes were made to be used and ridden in competition.

So i thought the best way to get the ball rolling was to get one and ride it in my clubs trials. Then i came upon the problem that i am now unable to obtain parts for them :( Oh well good idea while it lasted. Back to the James and Bantam. Would have been nice to see something different being ridden though.  

Hello again. No real negatives or positives - it was 40 years ago. One problem was when the bolts which hold the sprocket onto the hub worked loose/came undone and punched holes in the hub. I had this repaired by a local dealer in Bradford (I am from Saltaire originally) who rebuilt the wheel with a Montesa hub and converted the rear end for it to fit.

I also remember that it had a Dellorto carb and the nipple came off the cable at the carb end - I put a blob of solder on. Other than that I only changed the oil and filled it with petrol. I had it a fair few years and spent loads of hours on it. It had a dark blue fibreglass tank.

I have photos somewhere. I could dig them out and scan if you're interested, all I need is some motivation.

Also, before I passed my test I had an "L" plate stuck to the back of my jacket, which caused the police some amusement when they stopped me.

Regards

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi cottonmatt i hopefully seem to have sorted myself out now by having stuff made or adapting stuff from other makes of bike. If i ever get it back together i will let you know. To be honest the lack of spares availability is really putting me off the project. Probably explains why you rarely see minerelli cottons or sachs sprites, saracens etc. Anyone who has one thats useable is terrified of using it because if anything breaks or wears out then it's the end. Thanks anyway.

On 2017-6-18 at 8:43 PM, old trials fanatic said:

Hi cottonmatt i hopefully seem to have sorted myself out now by having stuff made or adapting stuff from other makes of bike. If i ever get it back together i will let you know. To be honest the lack of spares availability is really putting me off the project. Probably explains why you rarely see minerelli cottons or sachs sprites, saracens etc. Anyone who has one thats useable is terrified of using it because if anything breaks or wears out then it's the end. Thanks anyway.

Ok if you do get on to trouble let me know and i might be able to help. Would love to see it when you finished it if you do that is. If you do think of getting rid of it id be really interested in buying it off you. 

• Like 1