Bloke on a 125

kwackerzak

At 13 stone, don't think it would be a problem, modern 125's are pretty amazing, I am same weight, but I was lucky enough to pick up a 200 beta, which rides like a 125 but has a bit in reserve,and I love it

Started in a 315 years back. Sold up after 3 years for financial reasons but alwys felt overbiked on it. 8 yrs later i get a 125 14 stone or there abouts. More capable than I was. Swapped for a 250 315 after a couple of years when a family member couldn't get on with a recent purchase. never really struggled for grip. A 125 will require better technique. Certainly improved my riding and confidence and on a near identical 315 I feel in control and a much better rider.  Don't regret the 125 and often miss it. They seem to feel a lot lighter and manageable even though the differences are negligible. 

Edited by elusivemite
  • Like 1

I'm a 62 year old novice rider, about the same weight and I ride a 125 (Actually my second 125) .  In Central NY where I live, weather conditions and the trials we ride are very similar to the UK... Mud most of the year and rocky streams.   I could have upgraded to a 200 or a 250, but didn't.  I like that it's a little lighter and more nimble. 

• Like 1

I'm 16 stone.  I ride a 2014 Sherco ST 125 every week in a trials competition at Novice level.  I had two 250 Betas previously, the last being an Evo.  I like this 125 much more than the 250s.  It is easier to ride and control than the 250s.  It FEELS lighter and more nimble.  Is less likely to wash out on tight downhill turns, or rear up when suddenly finding grip on steep uphill sections.  

It won't really plod along, like a 250 will, so you keep the revs up a bit and slip the clutch.  It has a power band, so you need to keep the revs within that band, if you want power - it is a slightly different technique than riding a bike with a bigger engine.  (I have my tickover set high, which helps).  Mine does not like long lengths of deep, sticky mud, where 3rd gear might be the best to use - it won't really pull it.  Long, steep hill climbs, in 3rd are not on either.

I recently had a quick ride on a brand new Gas Gas 125 Racing.  That was even better than the Sherco 125, because it had more low down power and torque.   I would buy one.  (The older Gas Gas 125s are not the same, apparently).

Edited by stpauls

I had a '17 GG 125 TXT and it has great power, I switched to a '17 Scorpa 125SC because I'm short  and my twice operated on right knee didn't get along with Pro motor kickstart gear.  You have to be at the top of the stroke every kick, to get it to start consistently. Just a problem for certain riders. The newest version of the Scorpa/Sherco 125 motor, has every bit as much low end and overall power as the new GG. 

I am also just about the same size at 13 stone and I started on an 08 Gas Gas 125.  That 125 was the best thing for me to have started on in my opinion, I have sense moved onto a 250 but the 125 got passed down to my wife and she loves it.  I still ride it from time to time and it doesn't have any issues moving me around.  I think if I did it over I might have picked up a 200 beta but wouldn't ever thing a 125 is a bad call. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

I'm  67, 16 1/2 stone and ride a Scorpa 125 4t this is my second,had first 1 stolen, swapped a Beta 200 Rev 3 for my latest one.Also had Gas Gas Pro and Beta Rev 3 125' never had any problems with any of them,Gas Gas felt very light.but still prefer the Scorpa.