fork seal leak on Gas gas contact 250

leosantanalg

i got a new 2017 gas gas contact 250 and after 2 weeks riding I have a fork seal leak. I would take back to the dealer but is a 6hr trip.

My questions are:  Do I need special tools for the job? if so, which ones and where to find?

how do I find how much oil to put back in the fork? cant find in the manual

Has anyone done this job and have tips for me?? Thanks 

Does the manual not show the level at 160mm from the top. A level is a better measurement than a capacity.

PS you can probably fix the leak without taking it apart. Lift the dust seal off and use a feeler gauge around the inside of the fork seal lip. This can dislodge any dirt causing the leak. Good luck.

Edited by lineaway

Have found on more than one occasion (not necessarily on fork seals) inner seal lip being rolled over..probably production worker rushing too much..? seal cleaning tool may push it back over if not creased or tension spring not dislodged?? 

• Like 1

I do not have a manual for the bike, What I find odd since I bought it brand new 16 days ago! I have put about 20 hrs of riding so far.

I went online and downloaded a manual / parts for the TXT 250 but no info on fluids or "how to" maintenance

is there  a tool to check the oil level and add oil if necessary?

Why dont you just  phone the dealer that you just bought it from, probably be more than happy to fix you up with specs, parts or just plain info:thumbup: Who knows maybe they will even do house call service for prefered customers??