'83 or '84 Montesa Cota 350.

fourex

I recently bought a Cota 350 from the US, it has some features that I cannot find on any pictures from google or any where else for that matter. Some of these features are plain alloy coloured brake drums whilst the rest of the hub is black, "U" bolt handle bar clamps and front mudguard bracket from what appears to be from the later 330, also triple clamps are different to brochure shots. Frame & engine number are 51M26641, so it's possible it started to share some bits from the upcoming 330, but don't know for sure. I'm just interested in how it should look if I ever do a full resto, at this point I'm simply doing a good tidy up. I'll attach a couple of photos of how it looks now plus the only brochure shot I can find for a 350, as you will see they are a little different, so basically I'm trying to work out what I have here. I know the mudguards are not correct on my purchase and neither are the shockies, so overlook those. Cheers.

my cota 350 (2).jpg

my cota 350.jpg

Cota 350 sales brochure (2).jpg

Edited by fourex
  • Like 1

Brakes and yokes (triple clamps) are from the 242 model, the 242 and their successor where further developed, model 304, 307, 309 and 310 ending with the 311.

After the model 350 there came the Cota 330 and the the last Cota 335 which ws the last big cc bike, the 242 and later 304 where simply easier to ride in comparison.

Edited by pschrauber

The serial number is pretty strong evidence that you have a 1983 Cota 350. I have a 1983 Cota 350, serial number 51M26546. That's close enough to your Cota to confirm what you have, but doesn't really address the front end differences on your Cota. 

Thanks for the replies, since posting that up I've managed to source a 350 parts manual which answers most of my questions and confirms what you gents have said, cheers.

It does appear that the 350 did share some 39M (242,304,307 etc) parts as evidenced in the prefixes of some part numbers such as the top triple clamp and "U" bolt bar clamps, the front guard bracket still appears as the older/longer style but obviously could have changed to the 39M style at the end of the 350 run and this manual I've got simply may not be the last 350 parts manual. I'll attach some pages of the parts manual for anyone that's interested. Just curious, did these 39M models have the plain alloy coloured brake hubs ? If they did then I'll assume my 350 was meant to wear them and I'll leave them un-painted. Thanks for the input.

Cota 350_0001.jpg

Cota 350.jpg

Edited by fourex
jpg images