Polished Parts, 73 MAR MK 1

pmk

Not restoring.  Building a resto mod rider.  Trying to keep the 73 theme though. 

In regards to the aluminum parts, I am not 100% certain on what parts get polished.  The fenders /mudguards are plastic, so those will not be polished.

Currently I have polished the

front and rear rims,

front and rear hub

ignition side cover,

lower fork legs.

Next will be the brake backing plates, and clutch cover.

These items I am not sure about if they need polishing or a brushed type finish.

Triple Clamps?

Clutch and front brake levers?

Lever perches?

Sheet metal aluminum chain mud guard?

Skidplate?

Rear Sprocket?

Anything I forgot?

Sorry, no specific knowledge of Ossa MARs. But from my recollection of the period, NOTHING was polished. All bare aluminium had a smooth matt finish. If it didn't start that way, it certainly ended up like that after a generous dollop of mud was rubbed into it. Polishing the skid plate? Hell's bells :o!!!

PS I would have thought that aluminium mudguards would be correct for 1973. In which case it is mandatory to have a set of creases just behind the rear frame mounting. The generally approved method is to loop the bike on a big climb, thus bending the mudguard up to vertical. Bend it back down to the normal position and you'll have it just right. :)

• Like 3

Excellent humor.  I agree the parts will wind up matt finished in time.  The Spanish aluminum needed some love to remove light corrosion, and you are correct about the doloop of muck helping the finish from polished to patina.

The aluminum mudguards do rank in the same catagory as polishing the skidplate.  Not too worried about polishing the skidplates outer surface, just need to polish the inner surface to allow easier cleanup from the leaking oil out of the dumb right side shift shaft stub.