Homemade engine tools

oldjohn

What a great post, thanks old john for sharing your brilliant workshop tools.

Was wondering what you welded on the barrel face, crankcase LHS, is it a repair or did you aletr the mounting for a different cylinder?

Bye, Peter B.

Wow not only to the tools but especially to the new crank room and cylinder basement. What an effort I know of only one engine where this was made too to fit a bigger cylinder and crank to a smaller engine block and that was a small serial production of about 50 engines.

I too like the engine stand made out of wood beams. Something I do too for various occasions like wheels, rear shocks, swing arm and so one as they are so easy and cheap to make from left over carpenter jobs and afterwards you can burn them up in the oven producing heat

Edited by pschrauber
correction of typos
  • Like 1

The wooden stand is such a simple thing but the first time you use it you wonder why you didn't do it years ago. Having the case lie flat and stable when assembling the gearbox or when fitting seals and bearings makes the work so much more pleasant. When I'm disassembling an engine I stuff a couple of oil absorbent pads into the opening of the stand to catch any oil that drops when the shafts are pulled out - it helps prevent making a mess on the bench.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...