TR34 rebuild

john w

Hi all,

There don't seem to be many rebuild threads on here of air cooled stuff,  so thought I would post some pics of my TR34.

I have had this since it was 6 months old, and it's had a pretty easy life until I left it in a shed with a leaky roof for a couple of  years and everything corroded :huh:

It's been a total strip down, frame,  engine, hubs, etc all repainted, and everything that was plated, replated. 

It's been a struggle getting some of the bits, but nearly there now. I will add more pics as it progresses.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

Cheers, John. 

IMG_170324_1352087-768x1365.jpg

IMG_170324_2149409-1024x576.jpg

IMG_170324_2150371-1024x576.jpg

IMG_170324_2151242-1024x576.jpg

Edited by john w
  • Like 6

Hi,

I am starting to gather parts for my TR34 rebuild and wondered if you could post a picture of your back brake assembly as I need some inspiration and wish to find out which parts I am missing etc.

Your project looks very nice so far.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks guys. It's great to hear there are others of you doing similar.

The front pipe was clear coated, which went a biscuit colour over time.  I intend to clearcoat it again,  depending on how it looks after I've finished cleaning get it. I found a link earlier in the week to a review of when the replica first came out. This highlights some of he special bits, and shows the exhaust quite clearly. http://www.retrotrials.com/1987-milan-motorcycle-show-report1.html

What pics of the rear brake do you want ? I have the calipers in half at present, awaiting new o rings. The parts diagrams might help you too, although they are a bit sparse in some areas.

I did look at saschas build. It differs from mine in a bunch of ways, but was a good reference.

Did any of you guys try to refinish the fork lowers ? Mine are brushed which I am going to try to reproduce.

Cheers,   John.

That's a nice bike model and I have a similar bike, I have done a restoration on one TR34 too but left all parts if possible original, no new paint job, still tons of things done:

- rechromed and aligned stanchions,
- new clutch, new kick-start mechanism, new primary drive, (the complete set-up),
- new conrod, piston, cylinder plating,
- new rear silencer and overhauled pipe which had to get a paint job* 
- new reeds, carb completely overhauled, airfilter, new rubber air-box to carb and carb to intake,
- new cables and brake hoses, overhauled calipers and actuators front and rear, new brake discs,
- ignition overhauled, (new electronic parts), as it is prune to fail,
- new chain and sprockets,
- new tires, wheel bearings and seals,

* I choosed grey as a paint for the exhaust as it was formerly just clear coated, as pulling out /repair the dents and finishing the pipe left some traces.

4mVMQfOYQ_nOBFwJo7JaKNn4Q7gNBZrsH3RjfemQ

lIsSog3ECycWgfMw7Y0JffbRsEhr08p0tAlU5X60

KgJdOzz7xqkrWeT5P3vNgdADDtBh2Uz1-NRBSs25

Roop-bUjH9mYnkGBXK7UxGfu-jzXqQ5JJIMxUHsd

Edited by pschrauber
foprgot pic's ...
  • Like 1

John,

On the fork lowers, I tried to leave them in a brushed look, but I could never get mine looking good enough due to the wear and tear my bike had.  I ended up painting the lowers on mine.  I wasn't trying to be all original though, as also noted by the black engine.  

Does anyone have original paint codes?  My red is pretty much spot on, but I can't get the blue correct.  The blue I used ended up being much darker.

Also, if anyone has close up pics of the seat, I would love to see those.  Even a clear description of it would help.  Mine had nothing on it when I got it.  At this point I just have a piece of closed cell foam on it, but it doesn't hold up well.

I was told the red is the same as used by ducati,  and in fact the same as ferrari Rosso red. My paint guy mixed to match the original.

I bought some scotchbrite polishing wheels that are meant to give the brushed finish. We shall see.

The seat is a moulded gell, and originally had a black finish to it,  but this comes off and leaves it purple/blue. I can't attach any more pictures (will have to edit my posts and make them smaller so I can post more), so send me a pm with your email and I will email you a copy.  

Mine is very original wit regard to parts.  I have replated all the original bolts with the exception of the countersunk bash plate bolts,  countersunk rear loop bolts,  and stand pivot bolt,  which were changed as their heads were deformed. All bearings and seals have been replaced, and the fork legs replated. I had the spokes and nipples replated too.

Just got the ergal bits back from being colour anodised as original.

Cheers, John. 

Ps nice job pschrauber 

IMG_170324_2146337-1024x576.jpg

Edited by john w

Nice job and yes the aluminium parts should be as bright blue as shown in the picture. Just the snails they have not been coloured instead left natural in aluminium grey.

The parts on my bike are too purple by sun radiation...

On my bike all of those parts were dark blue from new, including the snails.

If you take the chain rubbing block bolt out (the bolt shown above) you should see the original colour on it where it hasn't been faded by uv exposure. Same for the captive threaded bit in the fork leg. These were the areas they used for a colour match.

My bike has had black renthals on it from nearly new, and the blue bar end stops shown above. The original bars were natural alloy colour. I did think about fitting standard ones but going to stick with what it's had on it for so long.

Here is a pic of my seat. You can see the black coating is coming off. Silicon spray did that :-/

IMG_170324_2210041-1024x576.jpg

Here the colors they match RAL pretty well:

- Frame red is RAL 3020 Verkehrsrot,
- Tank blue  is RAL 5013 Kobaltblau, (not Stahlblau, that color code has too little red).

See here:

Farben Beta TR34.jpg

The right picture shows gas tank and seat which is blue too.

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 1