Gasser start up rattle

the dabster

Bought a new 300 GP few weeks ago and overall very pleased with bike but it has developed a rattle on start up that's concerning me.  From cold I can start the bike usually second kick.  This is my fourth gasser since coming back to trials a few years ago and I understand the concept of the "bart simpson" half gear on the kick start mechanism and how the intermediate idler can sometimes be damaged if the k/start is 'slapped' when starting.  I always roll the KS over until it engages at the top and follow through cleanly and  I believe my proper technique is confirmed by the fact I can start the bike easily and consistently.

I know it is difficult to diagnose noises like this without actually hearing it but I am hopeful someone on here recognises my description as I have heard it on a previous bike and believe many others must have heard the same.

As soon as the bike fires from cold there is a metallic rattle from what sounds like behind the clutch side casing.  It sounds like pea sized ball bearings thrashing around in the crankcase for five to ten seconds which diminishes as the engine heats up and is not heard again for the rest of the time I'm out. While the bike heats up the rattle can be reproduced by revving the engine slightly.

I spoke direct to GG and decided to change the intermediate idler gear as part of a diagnostic process.  When I pulled the casing there was a small amount of fine debris on the clutch side magnet and less on the gearbox drain magnet.  I pulled the clutch and intermediate gear (which was replaced) and inspected the gears closely for chipped teeth etc.  All appeared clean and chip free so I cleaned everything with brake/clutch cleaner and drove compressed air through the clutch pack and gears etc and rebuilt the clutch, replacing the oil. 

On start up I got the same rattle slightly quieter but still present and again it did disappear as the engine warmed.  I'm not sure if it is my imagination or not but I suspect the engine is vibrating slightly harder than it was since I have heard the rattle but that could be my imagination.  Now I know the intermediate gear is often blamed for such noises but it's a brand new wheel and circlip and spinning freely as is the clutch basket etc.

Has anyone out there experienced this with a gasser and if so what ultimately was the cause and cure.  The bike is weeks old so no wear and tear and run in gently, no issues with gear change and transmission oil changed a few times with right amount etc 

Edited by the dabster

Your both right in what you say it is under warranty and I have spoken to GasGas who have been helpful.  The problem is (long story) the supplying dealer is hundreds of miles from me and GG have taken this on board.  They agreed to supply the idler trusting my mechanical ability to go through a few primary diagnostic steps in order to solve the problem without the logistics of me transporting the bike all that way.   I am hoping someone on here has experienced this and can help.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Ok then,did you check the small clutch retaining allen screw[ with the hole running through it] located in the center of the clutch is tight.

Yes, thanks for the suggestion.  The 4mm allen screw and cap spacer were tight when I removed the clutch and I retightened it on rebuild and checked everything moved freely on reassembly.

If it's not perfect take it back, I assume it's a UK supplied bike and not a grey import. Your money but it's nearer £6.5K and should be a beautiful bike not one you should be worrying about. Price up getting it delivered,should be around £150 door to door in the UK fully insured.

Hopefully GasGas UK will do everything possible to sort out a problem with a flagship bike

Good luck

Sorry guys but this feels like chatboard overeaction. How many of these posters have a gasser? There are a few topics on here already about the rattle.  - When I got my first gasser I too was worried but read up on it.I ran that gasser twice a week for three years with no issues apart from chewing up a bart simpson .Bought a new one six months back and this is just the same. So does most of the noise go away when the clutch is pulled in, I bet it does. Hold a rag over the exhaust for a few seconds, any nasty noises,probably not. Black sludge on the magnetic sump plug is from clutch and bedding in. Larger bits would be from Bart Simpson. Find someone else with a newish gasser and listen to theirs, it'll probably be the same. Total cost so far £0. Let us know how you get on

I'd assume he knows what clutch rattle sounds like, given this is his 4th GG...

Swarth on the drain plugs is completely normal, it'll be a huge mess on the first oil change then become less but you'll always get some. As for the noise, no idea... like you said, near impossible over the internetz.

I do agree though that the general internet reaction to 'I hear a noise' is 'it's going to blow up'.

Edited by heffergm

Yes, I do have a gasser it's a 2014 300 and to be honest it's beautiful , my fifth gasser and the only other make I have considered is the TRS.

How long would you run a bike with a noise your not happy with before taking it back ?

What is a Bart Simpson ? I must be missing mine !

38 minutes ago, anotherfive said:

Sorry guys but this feels like chatboard overeaction. How many of these posters have a gasser? There are a few topics on here already about the rattle.  - When I got my first gasser I too was worried but read up on it.I ran that gasser twice a week for three years with no issues apart from chewing up a bart simpson .Bought a new one six months back and this is just the same. So does most of the noise go away when the clutch is pulled in, I bet it does. Hold a rag over the exhaust for a few seconds, any nasty noises,probably not. Black sludge on the magnetic sump plug is from clutch and bedding in. Larger bits would be from Bart Simpson. Find someone else with a newish gasser and listen to theirs, it'll probably be the same. Total cost so far £0. Let us know how you get on

Why would the supplier send replacement parts if there wasn't a known problem ?

• Like 1

Dabster,what's your gut feeling? If that was me and i wasn't happy,without a doubt,it would be back where i bought it from,or to GasGas uk weather i knew what was wrong or not.It's a new bike man.

Of cource there's the clatter from the clutch support bush and you can see that explained on rising sun imports GasGas Pro clutch strip down and it will go away when the clutch is pulled in.There's no fix,but i think you would know that by now .

Lob it in your van,fire it off to Kev at GasGas uk see what he makes of it and take it from there.

If there's nowt wrong then you have lost some time and fuel money.If you get there and they say there's a problem then it will have been worth the trip.

I've had a new 2013 Pro,noisey. I have a TXT 280 too.

Do what you think's right.

Edited by shyted

1 hour ago, collyolly said:

Yes, I do have a gasser it's a 2014 300 and to be honest it's beautiful , my fifth gasser and the only other make I have considered is the TRS.

How long would you run a bike with a noise your not happy with before taking it back ?

What is a Bart Simpson ? I must be missing mine !

I got lost on the Bart Simpson thing as well... but anyway...

I wouldn't wait. If there's something audibly not right, just bring it back and see what the dealer thinks. Worst that happens is, he says it's normal (which is very likely) and sends you home. If it blows up, you have a record of your having brought it in, which makes a warranty repair (even if it's out of warranty) a lot more likely.

If it was round the corner from me I wouldn't hesitate but its a seven hour drive at least.

With regards to the clutch rattle that is eliminated when the clutch is pulled, it's not that.  The clutch noise is consistent and disappears on engagement consistently, I'm familiar and comfortable with that.  The noise I'm describing is much more prominent and only really there on firing and for a few seconds later which as I've said is influence by either heat or oil distribution as the engine runs because after a minute running it cant be reproduced even on throttle and isn't present for the rest of the time I'm out whether that is an hour or three.