Gasser start up rattle

the dabster

Why not try driving the engine from the rear wheel, cold to see if the noise can be detected, put the bike up on a stand and the with plug out, high gear and turn the rear wheel you may be able to hear something that is otherwise covered by the noise of the engine.

If it only lasts for a couple of seconds it cannot be heat related more likely as you say oil distribution so slowly turning it cold may show something up.

Thanks for your input guys I appreciate your time and experience.  To answer some of the questions it's 7degrees and due to get warmer so temperature not extreme.  I will consider pulling the plug and turning it over on the stand as suggested, never thought of that before it's a clever idea. No flywheel fitted it's as it came from the factory.  Is it possible i'ts the piston from cold because as soon as it runs 30/40 secs., by which time the piston expands its gone and doesn't return.  Surely a bearing or gear that's defective won't resolve itself during straight after startup?

Kev at GasGas U.K. Is the man to sort this.I wonder if it's an iffy main bearing as you say it's starting to vibrate.Tha supplying dealer is legally responsible to fix this,your contract is with him.I suggest your dealer sends it back and claims the cost back from the importer

GasGas UK are 7 hrs from me and the supplying dealer not much short of that.  With regards to the faulty main why would it go quiet after its been running a minute or so.  I'll speak to GG again see what they say, I just thought there must be so many people on this forum that have run GG that maybe someone would say I had that it turned out to be this or that, not to worry many thanks to all who took the time to try and help, it's appreciated.

• 8 months later...

What was the outcome?   My 05 300 has recently started doing this rattle for 30 seconds or so when cold.  It sounds like a stuffed piston or something from the top end but then fades away and is fine.  Can also be bought on a bit by revving it as it warms up.

I did start using a different 2 stroke oil recently and wondered if it could be gumming the rings a bit when cold or something.  Just a random thought..

Ok a follow up to my previous post.

Don't use BO 2T6 Oil http://www.motoxparts.co.nz/category/lubrication-filters/2-stroke-semi-synthetic-engine-oil-2t6---1-litre

After I switched back to Castrol TTS the bike sounds and runs normally hot or cold.  I really hope no serious damage has been done....

Edited by bluey

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:09 AM, bluey said:

What was the outcome?   My 05 300 has recently started doing this rattle for 30 seconds or so when cold.  It sounds like a stuffed piston or something from the top end but then fades away and is fine.  Can also be bought on a bit by revving it as it warms up.

I did start using a different 2 stroke oil recently and wondered if it could be gumming the rings a bit when cold or something.  Just a random thought..

Sorry Bluey, just seen this today.  Gasgas stripped the bike and said the rings were gummed up and expanded when hot, exact same symptoms as you.  I was told to use putoline mx5 or mx9  two stroke 65mls per 5 lts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the dabster said:

Sorry Bluey, just seen this today.  Gasgas stripped the bike and said the rings were gummed up and expanded when hot, exact same symptoms as you.  I was told to use putoline mx5 or mx9  two stroke 65mls per 5 lts.

Interesting.  Was this a result of using some other "dodgy" 2 stroke oil you think?

Thankfully my bike isn't showing any symptoms of permanent damage after switching back to a decent oil...

1 hour ago, bluey said:

Interesting.  Was this a result of using some other "dodgy" 2 stroke oil you think?

Thankfully my bike isn't showing any symptoms of permanent damage after switching back to a decent oil...

Yep, told the barrel and piston were black as if overdoing the oil ratio which I wasn't, they then said I must have been riding the bike like the district nurse would if she rode trials..... told to rev it much harder!

• Like 1