Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

steam

Mud

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

https://youtu.be/jMl8hnkOI5U Study these world class riders and their technique well  and you should achieve as much as them in the grip stakes.

Edited by oni nou

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

I ride mud a LOT. (I trail ride very tight stuff all the time).

For me, I keep very low tyre pressure, very, very light throttle and lug the engine. Often I'll use 1st gear and tractor. If I'm tired or really slick, I'll site way back so the front tyre is just barely on the ground (I have a real seat). This is quite effective for me (but of course I'd likely get a 3 if in a section).  I can do quite well unless the mud gets up over the foot pegs and the higher clearance enduro bikes have ridden through. Then it will just stop if going slowly. (Same in deep snow).

All these other guys know way more than I do, but it seems to be effective for me. (Especially since I'm trying to save energy, just get through while not falling and not worried about 'dabs')

I was trying to find a vid I've done, but couldn't really find one. this one isn't particularly muddy- but VERY steep and quite slick (wet salal). The guy in front was on an enduro bike, so have the extra weight to deal with (he is a lot better rider than I am). But perhaps my thoughts on low engine speed and no spinning will come through.

Again- this just works for me, and perhaps might help in a section were you are going to get a 5 or get a 3 instead.