Ossa TR77 - Very clunky gearchange

t20racerman

Hi all

I recently restored a TR77 that I got as a box of bits many years ago. It is now up and running (and road registered too!).  When I first rode it, the clutch was SO heavy, and gear changing was very difficult without crashing and clonking them. I thought this was possibly just a clutch problem as it was so heavy.

I took the clutch cover off and removed a plate - the outer metal clutch plate - to allow some adjustment, as the springs were already as far out as I could get them. This meant that the outer pressure plate ran on a friction plate (I ensured that it was flat and smooth first), and when I reassembled it all (again with the springs as far out as I could get them) it made the clutch a bit lighter, without any hint of slip.

Now, gear changing from 1 to 3 and back is fine - ie smooth and easy. However, going to 4th and 5th and back is still very clonky. I have to pull the clutch in, wait a second or two for the revs to equalise with the box, then change - and still it crunches horribly most of the time.

So, is this normal for one of these? Or is there a solution?

For background info, I shimmed the crank, gearshafts and selector all to well within tolerance. I'd examined all the bits and found nothing untoward. The clutchplates are new 'Surflex' ones, and the primary chain is new too - as is every single bearing and seal. I've now done about 40 miles since the total rebuild, about half of these since my clutch mods. Could it be clutch problem, even though there is now no hint whatsoever of clutch drag?

Thanks for listening

Adrian