New bike, nae grip ?

cabby

Just recently bought myself a new sherco 300, lovely bike and today was my second time out on it but was founding really badly when it came to grip, just couldn't feel anything. Fives all over the place by not getting any grip through the muddy parts, that everyone else was easily coasting through...

On my gasser I could feel the grip coming on and was able to throttle accordingly but today, nothing, ziltch, couldn't feel a thing....what's up ??? 

Hi had the same problem when I got my 300 trs couldnt get it to grip at all. The problem was I opening it up to much as I was so used to my 2011 sherco 290 which didn't have a lot of power. After 2 days of practicing I adjusted on how to ride it now the grip is unbelievable. The 300's tend to have that much go in it that it spins a lot in the wet.  

5 minutes ago, elusivemite said:

Spend more time riding it. Takes time to tune into a new bike regardless of discipline.  Guess you've set the suspension up to suit and played with tyre pressure's? Did your previous gasser have a flywheel weight?

Suspension is as it came new, my gasser did have a heavier weight spring but no flywheel weight.  

Setting up your suspension.

Find out the static sag as your stating point. That's where the suspension supports the bikes weight and gives it it's riding attitude.

Some where you will find that out ,even if you have to phone MRS sport. Once that's sorted the rest is easy. It just requires a pen and paper, some good tools( not knackered ones ) and some quiet time to think. If you get it wrong, start again.

You can find how to check sag on loads of sites. The simplest way of having it explained is by Griff from Aprilia Performance on his Tuono set up on You tube.You need the measurements to start though. Setting is the same principle on all motorcycles. He explains the whole thing.

You can also see James Holland from JHS racing explain it when he sets an MT 10.See BJ's MT 10 blog fast bikes youtube. It's about the sixth one.

Just remember ,we only have two methods of adjustments. The spring and the damping

Keep us posted.

Ted

Edited by shyted
  • Like 2

Aye Aye another no man enough for a mighty 300.

In your defence I know it was a 250 you were after.

Onlything I can add is the motor picking up nice and cleanly just off tickover?

If the fuelings not spot on it's hard to find grip on takeoff.

Suspension I back all the damping off until it's like a pogo stick then screw in about 4 clicks

I'm not hitting 6 foot steps I just want it to be comfy.

Maybe see you on Sat  and I don't want any excuses.

PS I just remembered my pal Fraser has a 16 300 Sherco.He fiddled with the carb settings and it was unridable.

Edited by breagh