The Madness continues!

model80

On 29/03/2017 at 9:50 PM, model80 said:

Sure each to their own B)

My own direct experience of Bing carbs, were mostly down to rapidly wearing Slides and sticking float valves. Not only on Bultaco's but on Maico MX'ers as well. My respect for Mikuni carbs is borne out of never having go near them through several models of YZ125's and 250's.

My reason for favouring the Electronic Ignition system is based on the positive feedback I have encountered from a number of people I know who have fitted it to their own Sherpa's.

Slides wear but for trials not mx its a good carb.yz is not trials either, and its japanese.

People who feel they need electronic ignition probably do not set btdc as a regular thing. As part of  prep for 119b's I think its essential.

On ‎29‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 10:50 PM, model80 said:

Sure each to their own B)

My own direct experience of Bing carbs, were mostly down to rapidly wearing Slides and sticking float valves. Not only on Bultaco's but on Maico MX'ers as well. My respect for Mikuni carbs is borne out of never having go near them through several models of YZ125's and 250's.

My reason for favouring the Electronic Ignition system is based on the positive feedback I have encountered from a number of people I know who have fitted it to their own Sherpa's.

The Bing carburettor has a piston made out a softer material as the carb body to prevent wear to the cylinder. The piston therefore has to be replaced regularly. That is a good idea much better then other carburettor's of that era where piston and carb body where made out of the same material.

The PHBH Dell'Orto has too a softer piston then carb body.

The Mikuni VM at least also.

Anyway in my experience the Bing works asthonishing well when set up right and maintained.

The Dell'Orto is a bit complicated to adjust because of it's bazillion possibilities for adjusting if you have already 5 different slides to choose it's a challenge.

Bing's offer not so many possibilities but need spot on adjusting too.

Mikuni's or OKO carbs you can screw on and they work it doesn't matter how the carb is adjusted the engine starts and runs mostly OK. The main adjustment for OKO and Mikuni is which diameter you use. You can slightly improve the engine by fine asjusting in the carb. I have a 125cc rebuild to 200cc Yamaha and the original carb worked on the 125, is btw. with same diameter and slightly different jets also standard to the 175 and do the job even on the 200cc motor. So very forgiving carb model which pleases you fast.

• Like 4

On 31/3/2017 at 11:39 PM, nigel dabster said:

Slides wear but for trials not mx its a good carb.yz is not trials either, and its japanese.

People who feel they need electronic ignition probably do not set btdc as a regular thing. As part of  prep for 119b's I think its essential.

Thanks for the advice nigel dabster. I campaigned a red 199, back in the day and I'm more than fully aware of the difficulties that I encountered firsthand.

Edited by model80

On 4/4/2017 at 0:45 PM, guys said:

Luckily it fell in the good hands of Gilles Escuyer and his father than.

Yes, it became a magnificent restoration job by Gilles Escuyer.

On my own 199B, I had a good delve into the engine today. It all looks fairly decent, good compression, smooth clean bore etc. I will put in new bearings and seals, as it has been lying up so long. Any advice on the type of bearing to use, ball or roller?

Edited by model80
  • Like 2

Hi Model80. Normal bearings are fine for all the gearbox and in the clutch but use C3 bearings for the main bearings. There are needle bearings inside the countershaft but that is all that will fit there anyway. I think you can get needle bearings for the main bearings as some of the Pursangs had them but only on the ignition side I think. Graham.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2017 at 11:52 AM, bullylover said:

Hi Model80. Normal bearings are fine for all the gearbox and in the clutch but use C3 bearings for the main bearings. There are needle bearings inside the countershaft but that is all that will fit there anyway. I think you can get needle bearings for the main bearings as some of the Pursangs had them but only on the ignition side I think. Graham.

Thanks bullylover, apologies for the slight confusion on my part, as I should have said;

"Any advice on the type of Main Bearing to use, ball or roller?"

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well after a number of false starts, I finally got the frame away to the powder coaters, collected it today and I'm delighted with the finish. 

Of course as soon as I got it home I couldn't resist fitting the bash plate that I got from Todotrial. Which fitted perfectly and offers way more protection than the original.

Next on the list will be swinging arm bushes and a new airbox.

20170728_180054.jpg

Edited by model80
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A frustrating evening in the garage! Started off with two "simple" jobs to do this evening and ended up accomplishing neither.

Decided to put new swinging arm bushes and inserts into the 199B and ordered the nylon/plastic bushes as I felt they be the easier to fit. The bushings and inserts fitted the swinging arm like a glove, the fun began when I attempted to marry the swinging arm and the frame. Needless to say after many attempts the swinging arm remains unfitted to the frame. Will have to now spread the frame to make it wide enough to accept the swinging arm complete with bushes and inserts, I reckon a car jack should do the trick.

Following all that trauma, I deceided to fit the new airbox I received from InMotion. Now all looked well, however I noted that drilling would be required for both attachment to the frame and the fitting of the side panels. I also noted that no side panel gromets are supplied with the airbox. Anyway it is almost fitted at this stage

My question is does anyone have a photo of a 199B airbox as I would like to see how the snorkels are arranged on the airbox.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by model80

On 12/8/2017 at 8:17 AM, nigel dabster said:

so my explaination isnt clear enough @model80 ?

I'm afraid not nigel me ould pal. Call me thick or what, but there you!:rolleyes:

As someone with a far better grasp of things said once, " a picture paints a thousand words".

Edited by model80