The Madness continues!

model80

Just took possession of my new 199B project today. Always had an itch to scratch when it came to the 340, 6 speed Sherpa's. So after nearly a quarter of a century "looking out" for one, I need look no longer. 

Yeah, there is lots to be done, but heaps of new ideas to try out. Electronic ignition, Dellorto or Mikuni carb, what suspension set up will I go for etc, etc.....

Will keep you all updated on here on my progress

IMG_5101.JPG

IMG_5103.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

• Like 6

Nice find! I,m sure after such a long search that it will be a labor of love so it will be fun.

Also nice to bring it back to life and keep it from being parted out.

They are super rare over here.This is the closest I ever got to getting one,but even that would have been a long shot as I was a third party in the deal and the second fellow would have probably got it first.

Have fun and keep us posted.

8a93bb7f-260c-435f-a36e-4c5e48c293f7.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Yes, it's in a bit of a state alright, but its all repairable or replaceable.

I made good progress today, got my local welder who also happens to be a big Bulto fan, lined up to repair a cracked tube in the frame. Also have the frame, swinging arm and rear engine bracket booked in for medium blasting and painting.

I have now got everything catalogued and a list of spares that will be required. Luckily I was just about to start a 199A restoration before the "B" happened along and I had already acquired a lot of spares for that restoration. So now I just basically need  is a new airbox, side panels, saddle and a pair of white mudguards. Unfortunately my poor old 199A will have to say in hibernation a bit longer until I've got the "B" up and running. 

The plan for the moment is to work on the frame and cycle parts, get that all sorted and assembled, then delve into the engine and gearbox. Will definitely go with electronic ignition and use the Mikuni carb I have planned to use on my 199A. Ironically both bikes came to me without carburettors, no loss really as I was never a fan of the Bing carb, way to fragile and finicky in my experience.

Will post up photos every once in a while as progress reports.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

I think bing carbs are good and electronic not a great benefit.

Sure each to their own B)

My own direct experience of Bing carbs, were mostly down to rapidly wearing Slides and sticking float valves. Not only on Bultaco's but on Maico MX'ers as well. My respect for Mikuni carbs is borne out of never having go near them through several models of YZ125's and 250's.

My reason for favouring the Electronic Ignition system is based on the positive feedback I have encountered from a number of people I know who have fitted it to their own Sherpa's.

Edited by model80
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, sherpa325 said:

The main thing is that you appear to have all the major parts [assuming you have the forks and triple clamps]

Everything else in available and they are basically simple to work on, good luck.

Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg, I have the forks, I'll get them hard chromed but otherwise they're in fairly decent condition . Have the top and bottom yokes as well.

Yes, as you say they're a grand simple bike to work on.

I was like you, always had a desire to have a 199B, but here in Australia they are very rare as they were never imported here. So when I had a chance to purchase one I couldn't pass it up. Now the problem is what do I do with it as it nears completion , ride it or leave it in the shed? I have a real nice 199A which I compete on which has lots of subtle modifications whereas the B is essentially standard except for  a Dellorto carbie, late model footpegs and fibre clutch plates. I'll post some pictures next week when its finished.

Cheers Greg

• Like 4