Crankshaft seals

diesel2607

I have no learned my problem with a smoky bike is most likely my crankshaft seal on the gearbox side as I am also losing gearbox oil how difficult a job is this to tackle by myself or should I put the bike away to have it done bike is a 2005 rev3 

4 hours ago, oni nou said:

Drain coolant by removing rad cap and then unscrew the drain screw at the waterpump cover and disconnect hoses to pump.Lie bike on its side flat on floor with the kick start side of bike up...obviously turn off fuel tap and plug the end of your fuel cap breather hose.

Remove kickstart lever and complete clutch cover side case.Now you need to remove the primary gear/balancer flywheel on the end of the crankshaft.....your best tool for this is an impact type airgun to remove the retaining bolt you will also have to remove the clutch basket aswell to get clearance to remove the primary gear [the shaft is tapered so you may need a puller to get it off].......once you have the primary gear off you will see the crankshaft seal ..drill some small holes in it directly opposite each other with a 2.5mm drill bit then screw some self tappers in those holes and using small vice grips or pliers pull the seal out of its housing........put some 2stroke oil liberally on the lip of the new seal and a light smear on the outer edge that goes against the housing  then carefully put it into place then using a socket that sits on the outer edge of the seal carefull tap it into place until the outer edge sits at the same level as the outer edge of the casing ....if you knock too much it will just keep going as there is no lip to stop it in the housing.

You will find an engine rebuild manual at Lewissportusa.com it is for a Beta Evo 2009/10 the engine is basically the same as yours ...use all the torque figures from that manual on your engine.

Ok thanks very much for the reply is it a pretty straight forward job to do 

Right had my bike out shed tonight and when sat on a stand level The sight glass was full of oil the last time it was out and run after washing it was only half full could this be the oil running back from the gears as it's been sitting I really have no idea any advice again would be very helpful 

1 hour ago, b40rt said:

If it only smokes when it gets hot, and your not losing gear oil, whats burning ?

Not sure it did look like it was using gear oil as I had an empty sight glass the trail before dropped and topped up for last trial then when washing looked only half full could it be the middle exhaust needing cleaned out on rider behind me said smoke smelt like burning gear oil 

Burning oil does have a different smell, and tends to hang in the air longer. Check the gear oil when its had time to settle, mark the sight glass if its easier. You should then have a better idea of whats going on.

A decent hot air paint stipper will clean out an exhaust, be prepared for a lot of smoke, even if the seal hasnt failed.