Gas Gas 280 Pro 02 carb to airbox gap

Bunge

Evening all.

I purchased the above bike as a fixer up'er/ hobby. The final thing to do before I can start riding it is attach the carb to the airbox correctly. 

When the two are joined the carb doesn't sit flush into the airbox rubber, even if i do the jubilee clip up tight, it holds it whilst the bike sits on the stand, but not well enough to hold and ride, and shake around. 

The carb nipple on the bottom has even started to wear away at the top of the engine casing. Anyone have an idea of how to remedy? I have thought about using a turbo tube of a vehicle, this will do the job, but I would rather complete the task properly rather than a temp bodge. 

Edited by Bunge
spelling mistake

Assuming its running a Delorto carb, there should be a rubber ring adapter on the carb-to-airbox side:

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/gasgas-pro-dellorto-phbl26-adaptor.html

Is that present?  The carb is close to the engine casing but it shouldn't touch.

Also, when refitting the carb and air box, i uses the following procedure:

1. Slacken the engine/carb jubilee clip.
  2. Offer up the airbox to the carb and if need be, pull the carb out of the engine side to aid entry to the airbox (if necessary, warm up the airbox rubber with a heat gun to soften it)
  3. Once the carb is inserted properly into the airbox, push the airbox and carb back into the engine.
  4. Locate the 4 bolts holding on the seat/airbox.
  5. Re-align carb if the angle has moved.
  6. Tighten both jubilee clips
  7. Tighten the 4 airbox screws.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Thank you for your response and time Wayne.

Yes the rubber is present.

I will try your procedure and see how I get on. 

Attached is the photos I just took- the bottom one shows the nipple that is hitting the engine.

sorry for the poor pictures- it shows the current gap, and after a few mins of riding the gap at the bottom is 2mm+, allowing dirty air into the carb. 

IMG_7124.JPG

IMG_7132.JPG

IMG_7133.JPG

Pretty common on those early 2002 bikes for that rubber tube to "shrink" a bit over time. Gets stiff and smaller!

Gas Gas used a new part in 2003 Hence the BT280"3" 28017 part number

Either fit a new airbox rubber tube # BT280328017, or like you said get something to extend the original.

If you follow my procedure above together with warming up the airbox connection, i'm sure you'll find the carb will connect better.

Also, make sure that the carb is fully pushed into the airbox even if this means you're having to pull it out of the engine side a little.

Thank you all for your comments. 

I heated up the air-box rubber and it became more malleable, and fits better. I will just try and source a thinner jubilee clip, as the one already on there is too wide.

Thanks again.

• 11 months later...

Hi all does anyone know where I cud source one of said rubber breather ducts for an 02 gassa txt pro 125cc bike plse. Have tried everywhere with no luck upto now. Just be available in the uk btw thanks in advance

On 3/28/2017 at 12:11 PM, Bunge said:

Evening all.

I purchased the above bike as a fixer up'er/ hobby. The final thing to do before I can start riding it is attach the carb to the airbox correctly. 

When the two are joined the carb doesn't sit flush into the airbox rubber, even if i do the jubilee clip up tight, it holds it whilst the bike sits on the stand, but not well enough to hold and ride, and shake around. 

The carb nipple on the bottom has even started to wear away at the top of the engine casing. Anyone have an idea of how to remedy? I have thought about using a turbo tube of a vehicle, this will do the job, but I would rather complete the task properly rather than a temp bodge. 

I installed one of these carb to airbox rubber adapters and made installation much easier and better to secure the airbox hose to the carb.  It is also slightly longer than the OEM rubber adapter.

http://www.vmar.com/carb.html