Honda montesa 300 rr seat

wyoelkslayer

The term is observed trials so in short yes there is an observer who will watch you and score you. 

In the smaller clubs groups of 3 or 4 riders will often ride tighter and score each other (called group check) as there is often not enough people to help score the event.  in the larger clubs they will often split the riders up by upper class and lower class and have one of the two groups ride in the morning and the other in the afternoon and you would cross score AM will observe the PM and PM observes AM. 

Wyoelkslayer,

Check out the Wyoming Motorcycle Trials Association website. There are several of the regular WMTA riders from the Jackson Hole, Driggs / Victor, Idaho Falls areas and one from Alpine. Look at links under the "More" tab to answer a lot of your questions. The closest WMTA event to you will be the Limestone event in August, it's between Lander and South Pass. The Whiskey Gulch trial mentioned already usually has several riders from your area. One of them has a nice practice area and other local riders practice at his place.

Edited by sportsawyer
  • Like 2

thanks for all the info fellas! can you guys recommend a good riding boot? Ive never actually bought any riding boots but i think I'm gonna try some out. The hunting boots have worked but i want some new boots. also does anybody ride with hand guards or whats the best way to keep from breaking levers? i already smacked mine pretty good luckily it didn't break! 

Hand guards are most often used by people riding lots of trails on their trials bikes for brush protection (snagging levers sucks).  If you do want guards you will want to be careful about how you set them up to not have your lines cut if they or the lever assembly rotates. 

Lever setup video link:

As for boots...

I would say its about your preference in riding comfort in comparison to what your willing to spend, if you want slipper like comfort the Gaerne are most often rated the highest however they also have the least amount of support for you feet.  For the best foot support most seem to like the AlpineStars, the older no-stops can be found on clearance so depending on size might be a good buy and most say the new ones are just as good but more $.  If you want to spend less and get good boots the Forma Boulder, or Wulfsport are often rated well but less out of pocket however I am not able to speak to fit, comfort, or durability as my family have only had AplineStars and Gaerne's so far. 

There are a few other options including Hebo, and Sidi but I don't know to much about there comfort level or support etc. I am not sure where I would rate them.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Should have a checker at each section some time 2 or more depends on how the section is laid out. Gotta keep a close eye on those guys that have been riding a while they'er sneaky 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bbk said:

Im a Gaerne fan of oil tan leather awesome boot around $300-$350

those look sweet, i like the leather look im gonna check some of those out. thanks for all the help and suggestions im learning alot. One other thing ive been trying to research and havent found much info is how do i set up my suspension for my size? It looks like it plays a big part in being able to hop my bike around 

Edited by Wyoelkslayer

1 hour ago, Wyoelkslayer said:

those look sweet, i like the leather look im gonna check some of those out. thanks for all the help and suggestions im learning alot. One other thing ive been trying to research and havent found much info is how do i set up my suspension for my size? It looks like it plays a big part in being able to hop my bike around 

https://www.joomag.com/magazine/trials-enduro-news-december-2014-volume-49-issue-12/0716551001416757092?page=54

Edited by guys
  • Like 1

I also like the Gaerne oiled boots (these are apparently made of a better quality leather), very comfortable and very good to walk in, they also offer very good "contact" with the bike.
The downside: your feet soles might get irritated by the pegs due to the souple sole when you're on the pegs for a very long time, and there's no protection for your toes and ankles.

The previous model of Alpinestars ( I don't mean the new ones, wich have a stitched sole like the Gaernes) offer better protection for toes and ankles, are larger and feel stiffer, especially the sole, wich make you feel a tad less in touch with your bike. (I think that's why Tony Bou had stitched soles on his Alpinestars even before Alpinestars switched from the glued to the stitched soles. But that's pure speculation on my side)

For the rest they're on par with the Gearnes.

By the way, there were some quality issues reported with the new Alpinestars: the paint could chip when cleaning the boots.

Edited by guys

The soles on the Tech T's and the No Stops (the new and old Alpinestars), aside from the former being stitched, are identical in look and feel. Some people like the Gaerne's, but they're way too soft in my opinion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bbk said:

Im a Gaerne fan of oil tan leather awesome boot around $300-$350

those look sweet, i like the leather look im gonna. thanks for all the help and suggestions im learning alot. One other thing ive been trying to research and havent found much info is how do i set up my suspension for my size? It looks like it plays a big part in being able to hop my bike around 

those tech t's look sweet too, looks like they have a leather looking boot option. pricey though $$$