Overheating problem?

netley

I think the engine has suffered some damage it would be super interesting to know what.

I believe you have blown the rings and with them everything else touched by them. The bike got too hot to little oil which caused much wear hot blow by and you will need a new top job now.

Yes a bad prediction I would be glad if not.

I can't really "like" this post as it doesn't bode well. 

I will report back, but I have an old vfr to finish before I get back to the Bultaco and I'd like to play a little with the Montesa as well.

oh what a life I have !

Sorry but as the compression apparently hasn't come back, at least you haven't told so.

The chance the engine isn't toast is not high instead the opposite. We might see or read about it ... Surly I wish you luck and will press thumps (if that can help).

Looking forward to pic's in the next couple of days.

I did say in my first post that when I tried it the next day it had compression and I tentatively tried to start it but it didn't quite catch. I'll try properly on Monday and report back unless you think I shouldn't ???

Does it feel compression wise like before?

You might loan a endoscope there are quite good once with USB hub available these can be plugged to your notebook and do deliver quite good insights.

Somikon makse an USB hub endoscope that has a 7m long wire with HD view for under 50€.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, netley said:

I did say in my first post that when I tried it the next day it had compression and I tentatively tried to start it but it didn't quite catch. I'll try properly on Monday and report back unless you think I shouldn't ???

What's the worst that can happen ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, b40rt said:

What's the worst that can happen ?

The bike unexpectedly starts in gear and runs away, throttle wide open. It careens through an outdoor antique fair before crashing into a building where it bursts into flames, burning the orphanage and its occupants to the ground. Lawyers get involved.

Apart from that, not much.

• Like 8