Overheating problem?

netley

Getting a magnifying phone app was easier than trying to track down my dad ;)

Went on a practice session last night and the bike ran well but still not quite right. Some footage here.

I spoke to Dave Renham at Bultaco uk this morning who said the pilot jet reccomended for the Mikuni I bought from him was 30 so I've got conflicting info.

I can get a 45 locally today just to see what difference it makes?

What are your thoughts?

2 hours ago, netley said:

...I spoke to Dave Renham at Bultaco uk this morning who said the pilot jet reccomended for the Mikuni I bought from him was 30 so I've got conflicting info.

I can get a 45 locally today just to see what difference it makes?

What are your thoughts?

Maybe there are differences between your engine/carb and mine, but I'm sure that if I tried to run a 30 pilot in my bike it'd take about a week to warm up enough that it didn't hesitate on opening the throttle. I'd try the 45.

60 for a pilot jet in a Mikuni is huge...  On Yams, Bultacos or Ossas I've never used bigger than 35.

Listening to a bike on a PC completely distorts the sound and makes them sound worse than they are, but yours sounds as though it needs the exhaust repacking, it sounds noisy. If it's blown all the packing out of the middle box, or it's gummed up, and the same with the bottom half of the rear box, it will definitely make it run rough off idle

• Like 2

As Woody says the exhaust needs repacking I always get mine done on a new rebuild also if your engine as been rebuilt you will need to run the new piston in you will find the carburettor will need a few tune ups until the Engines run in.

10 hours ago, bondy said:

As Woody says the exhaust needs repacking I always get mine done on a new rebuild also if your engine as been rebuilt you will need to run the new piston in you will find the carburettor will need a few tune ups until the Engines run in.

Thanks, I'm just running it gently with brief spells with wider throttle openings, anything else?

Also so how does one re-pack the exhaust?

Cheers.

Neil

You have to cut open the middle section off the down tube there's 2. Ways of doing it first you can cut the rear open where the exhaust gets bolted the Engine second is you can cut open near the bottom where it joins  to the rear some 1 will have photos are I think there's a topic on it search for it. You need to clean all. The old crap out there's a perforated tube inside that slots into 2 collars take it out and clean then put back in. You need exhaust packing only cheap  there's loose and pad type I use pad type cut into strips and wrap round the complete tube not to tight but not to lose stick the plate back on you cut open and weld up done am sure some have different methods.

Edited by bondy
  • Like 1