Hi there ...

geoffreyj

I'm Geoff from the uk, have a montesa 4rt, I'm new to trials riding, though have ridden a few over the years.

I'm feeling my feet and picking up skills slowly in preparation for entering a few novice trials, and sorting through my bike getting it crisp, while learning how it's put together.

I have a lot to learn...but look forward to the journey.

Thanks for reading my intro.

• Like 2

Thank you...

I'm having fun with it all, I have started setting up a little practice area on some land I have with my excavator, that is coming on well, but in reality I need to concentrate on getting feet up while stationary, and hopping both ends about, obstacles will come once machine control and balance are under my belt...I think that's the right order!

Geoff.

20 minutes ago, geoffj said:

Thank you...

I'm having fun with it all, I have started setting up a little practice area on some land I have with my excavator, that is coming on well, but in reality I need to concentrate on getting feet up while stationary, and hopping both ends about, obstacles will come once machine control and balance are under my belt...I think that's the right order!

Geoff.

I'd change that order. You'll need tight turns and double blip long before you'd need to hop either end. Also static balancing can be good training, but most trials are no stop. 

• Like 2

Theres a fab set of Aussie training videos HERE, as per what Totty said hopping isn't needed for C-class routes (at least, from what I've seen so far ...)

Also, don't spend too much time just practicing - enter a few trials.  It's b*****d hard to begin with (and you will fall off lots) but you learn far faster ;)

• Like 1

Thank you again,

Those tips and information are most welcome, video links too...

I have raced in motocross and enduro in the past, but have fancied getting into trials for some years, and will take on board what you have  both advised me on.

I shall be entering a local trial, just as soon as I can get the regs and aplication in...

I must say, I love the 4rt, it seems so manageable,though I may go from 10 to 9 teeth on the front to lower the gearing.

• Like 1

Congrats!  Sounds like we got started about the same time, bought my 4rt 2017-03-25 .  I've been mainly working on balance and conditioning.  I'm sore in a few places I didn't know I had.  But like you I'm having a blast with it!

I bought a set of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EP9NPS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Makes it real easy to set up practice exercises.

They look good Mark, seems like I need to practice tight turns and slow stuff, that's where my skills are most lacking, interesting that I can just turn up at an acu event,my acu licence is well lapsed,about five years or so, I'm going to look at the local clubs and see what's going on.

That 4 rt suits me down to the ground, I have a few questions I shall be asking, but plenty of time for that...

I must say, thanks to all of you for the pointers and warm welcome, it feels really good to be in fine company, and I have picked up some info that gives me direction.

Geoff 

• Like 2

New chain and sprockets ordered, with a 9 ant 10 tooth front so I can chop them over.

I have been practicing slow tight turns between trees and other small obstacles,  and made some progress,  to the extent I am enjoying the learning  process.

I'm most fortunate in that I have 3 acres of land I bought years ago, and as a climber in trees have loads of logs and chip piles, and an excavator to arange things with,  so I can develop a little practise area as my skills improve.

This is all proving most enjoyable... 

Geoff 

• Like 1