Weeping banjo bolt

99techno

Hi guys, 

I've got a banjo bolt on the calliper that I can't stop weeping.

I've had two go's at it now and it's still weeping, it's only very slight, looks wet around the bolt after a few days, should I leave it? 

Should I try hard fibre washers instead of copper ? 

Should I wrap the banjo threads in PTFE? 

Any ideas would be much appreciated guys

I've never liked the use of banjos on brakes. Best kept for low pressure applications.

But if you have to keep it, putting PTFE tape on the threads won't do anything because the thread has nothing to do with the sealing. I don't much fancy fibre washers on brakes either. Have you checked the four surfaces that the two washers bear on? If there are any scratches there, that could be the leak path. Also new copper washers may help, especially if you don't know the provenance of the ol ones. The copper work-hardens.

• Like 1

Either get some new copper washers or you can heat your existing ones up to cherry red on a gas hob or with a gas torch to soften them off ( 'anneal' is the technical term for it ) be very careful not to melt them, I have with a gas torch !

As has been said above then make sure the surfaces that are being sealed are clean and flat, no sealant or tape is required just clean surfaces, soft copper washers and nip it up.

Edited by collyolly
  • Like 2

Have you tried listening to the banjo bolt when she speaks.  What she says doesn't always mean exactly what she says.  She might just want to spend time with you, she wants to be your number 1 priority.

On 4/5/2017 at 9:51 PM, oni nou said:

All trials bikes hydraulic systems have banjo bolt fittings on them and have since they started fitting them decades ago.

Yes, I know they're used but it really is not good engineering. The various suggestions of annealing copper washers seems good, especially if getting some new ones is going to be a lot of trouble (it's not a lot of expense). After heating, the annealing process requires the part to be cooled slowly, so definitely air cooling rather than quenching.

18 hours ago, suzuki250 said:

Didn’t Eric Clapton have the same problem ‘While my banjo gently weeps’

No but if you get the chance to see Jake Shimabukuro play While My Ukelele Gently Weeps it'll change your perception of what can be done with four strings.:D