'Muddy' gearbox oil

oldgit

Hello, I was just visually checking my bike through the 'porthole' this morning and noticed that the oil was a little cloudy. On draining, the oil was a little milky coffee coloured. I've seen quite a few examples of head gasket leaks and the oil was nowhere near as milky as one of those. There were also some small residues which I initially thought might be rubber from a worn-out seal - however, on examination, they appeared to be mud. I've had a trawl through a number of threads and the most common diagnosis for water in the oil seems to be a worn impeller shaft however, this would not explain the mud.

I'm guessing that the most probable cause is overuse or poor aiming of a pressure hose. Would I be correct in this? Or any other thoughts? 

Coolant still full. Oil been in approx one month - around 20 hours, I would guess.

Also - have checked carb, air cleaner, filter etc. Anywhere that mud/dirt could have got in. Nothing out of place there.

Edited by oldgit

On 08/04/2017 at 10:17 AM, guys said:

Is the breather tube still properly connected and routed as the clear tube in this picture, that's connected to the gearbox in front of the sprocket?

http://tuffcitypowersports.com/assets/uploads/images/Other/gg_txt_racing_2015_0061.jpg

Clear tube still connected. No sign of the purple tube - but I guess that's from the Keihin carb and mine's fitted with a Dellorto. I'll have a much closer look tomorrow once the bike's cleaned and dried. Apart from that - done four or five hours over the weekend and new oil is still crystal clear. Hoping it's a one-off but checking out the water pump.

Thanks again.

• Like 1