2017 4rt poor starter

binit

I have a 2017 4rt that has only been used handfull of times and is a poor starter and when it starts it coughs and bangs 

also conpared to my 2016 4rt it feels very easy to kick over

has anyone experienced this

Always started brilliant but this afternoon just dead took plug out looked like no spark disconeccted kill button still dead then just fired up really weird but its dead easy to kick over which i dont no if thats good or bad 

Usual checks? 

Is there tension in the throttle cable (can kill spark), try a new spark plug, tick over setting to low, fuel in the tank (not likely but as I have done it I will ask), check connectors to key items like fuel pump or ECU (or hole bike?).

Last time I had issues like this it was the connector for the fuel pump under the tank.  It was just barely unplugged and caused much the same problem...

Hope your able to sort it.

• Like 1

When you say very easy, do you mean as if there is no compression ?

Take out the plug, put your finger in the plug hole and gently turn the engine over on the kickstart, mind you don't touch the spark plug.

Does it feel like it is pumping air out past your finger or is the engine not doing anything ?

1 hour ago, cragvale said:

Just about to try one tomorrow, I thought they were great starters have I been misinformed!

In my experience there build quality in general is fantastic.  My 07 is bullet prof and everyone I know with new 2014 to 2017's have no issues.  FYI: I know about 6 people with new ones. 

The trick is that when you have issues they can be a bit tricky in comparison to older carb bikes.  However on that note, once you know the tricks/things to look for most things can be sorted quick as long as the parts haven't failed. 

If they do fail its a bit more $ to fix...

• Like 1

Yes as if no compression just compared to my 16 if feels so much easyier to. Kick over i know they have changed. Few things i have had about 8 4rt never one issue but this was strange i went to start it again last night left it about 4 hours and first kick she fired up and reved clean and hard 

Just a suggestion for something to try because you said the bikes does start some of the time. When it's running adjust your idle to make sure it's at least 1,900 RPM, a little faster is ok. If you don't have a tach just set the idle faster by ear. Then try starting it again. I messed with my idle setting after the bike started breaking in and got it too low and it was very hard to start. I turned the idle screw back to the setting (I had marked the position of the screw slot) it was in before I slowed it down and it fired up right away. As mentioned above, if you adjust the throttle cable too tight it will act like you have the throttle partly open and it won't start. I've learned the hard way on my '17 :). With everything set properly it starts easy and reliably.