300rr max engine RPM?

jmutiger

I've had my new bike out for one ride so far, and have a little hr meter with RPM guage that tracks max rpm's and it seems to be reading low.. At idle the numbers seem logical, but when revved out it seems low.  So what is approximately our max rpm?  I would have assumed over 10,000.. But maybe with the heavy flywheel and restrictive exhaust it just can't get there?  Anyone?

28 minutes ago, jmutiger said:

I've had my new bike out for one ride so far, and have a little hr meter with RPM guage that tracks max rpm's and it seems to be reading low.. At idle the numbers seem logical, but when revved out it seems low.  So what is approximately our max rpm?  I would have assumed over 10,000.. But maybe with the heavy flywheel and restrictive exhaust it just can't get there?  Anyone?

I wouldn't anticipate you'd reach maximum revs on a brand new engine.

Neither would I advise trying to as a way of running the engine in.

• Like 1

The 4Rt has a very short RPM range. Who cares what a meter shows. You want more, there`s plenty in the aftermarket. I followed Frexia a little this weekend at the USA nationals. His bike rev`s way past what a stocker does.

I would expect a stock 4RT engine without limiters should get up to at least 8k, however I wouldn't be shocked if they limited it in the ECU. 

Long shot but... Any chance you got the bike with any of the limiters that can come in the EU road versions by mistake?  Seeing that your in BC Canada and I don't know what options you can get there I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. 

Edited by jonnyc21

Generally a racing (as in max power / speed) 2t engine has a maximum piston speed of about 4,000 ft per minute. This would equate to a shade over 10,000 RPM on a 300 Sherco. As trials engines are tuned for low end torque and only deliver about 1/2 power of a MX engine I would think a Shercos max revs would be some way short of 10,000 especially as it has a restrictive exhaust and not an expansion chamber.

Edited by dadof2

Probably someone that has played with mapping would know more. The factory usually showed n/a on any literature. We have 4 4rt`s at work and they really don`t rev real high as the stock unit is made to make the most torque at mid rpm.

My seat of the pants guess or maybe soles of the boots guess is that trials bikes max out around 6000 rpm, maybe less. That is why they feel "softer" with lower gearing...if it gets away from you, it runs out of rpms fairly quickly.