Front mud guard rattle

heffergm

Anyone else's front mud guard rattle like the dickens whenever you moving quickly over rough ground/landing the front wheel/or otherwise doing something that causes it to shake? Sounds like it's the front tire rubbing, but I tried shimming it and that didn't make a difference.

The next possibility would be side to side  movement causing it to rattle against the mounting bracket, but I'm not 100% sure. If it is, I don't really see an obvious way to shut it up.

I get the same thing and also added a 5mm spacer at the bracket.  It is the lower rear part of the fender flexing and catching an edge on your tire, a small rock stuck in the tread will cause the same sound.  I'm not too impressed with the fit of my fender, stock the front tip was about 1mm off the tire tread....bad plastic mold I guess.

• Like 1

Yeah, so the first time I tried the spacer I put one under both mounting bolts. That didn't work. Apparently the issue is more the angle that the stock bracket is set at, so a single spacer under the more rearward bolt did the trick. Thanks for the info!

To change the curve of the fender get a heat gun or powerful hair drier and carefully heat the fender behind the fender mount while applying some pulling pressure to the fender back towards the frame till you have the clearance you want. Shove a small block of wood between the tire and fender to hold the fender out till it cools, then remove the block. You may have to repeat the procedure to get it where you want it as your heat source or fender plastic will have different results. Be careful as to how much heat you apply as you can melt the fender or its graphics.

• 2 months later...
On 12-4-2017 at 2:03 AM, heffergm said:

Yeah, so the first time I tried the spacer I put one under both mounting bolts. That didn't work. Apparently the issue is more the angle that the stock bracket is set at, so a single spacer under the more rearward bolt did the trick. Thanks for the info!

The front mudguard rattle is indeed annoying.. What size / height of spacer did you use? 

1 hour ago, heffergm said:

I ended up using a couple rubber spacers. It's still not silent, but it's a lot better than stock. They're maybe 4mm or so thick. 

Thanks. 

Guessing here: the bracket might give some stability to the fork; using rubber spacers could decrease that function. Or is the only function of the bracket to provide mudguard mounting?

25 minutes ago, heffergm said:

The spacers have zero impact on the function of the brace on its own. The spacers are under the fender-bracket mounts, not under the bracket-fork mounts.

Ah, now I understand! Will give it a try; thanks again.