Beginner

adam1976

On 4/11/2017 at 9:09 PM, adam1976 said:

Hi all

I  look for advice  on what would be the best bike to start trials with

cheers adam

NOT a Beta, because their mudguards are fragile - made of glass, I believe.  Every time it rears up, you will snap the £75 rear mudguard.  Sometimes when you fall off you could also snap it.  The front mudguard will also snap if you ride into a bush, get it clogged with mud or swear at it.  It could be expensive.  

Sherco mudguards are floppy.  They don't break.

As a then beginner, coming from Beta Techno and Evo 250s to a Sherco 125 I can tell you that the Sherco is more nimble and agile that the Betas.  There is plenty of power, even for a lardarse. 

A 125 Gas gas is also better than a Beta and in my opinion the latest 2017 models are excellent, even better than a 3 year old 125 Sherco.  I cannot vouch for their mudguards though.

Additionally, with a Beta, every time you fall off, or nearly fall off you will burn the inside of your right leg and eventually burn through your trials trousers at the same point.  Not so with a Sherco.  Don't know about Gasgas.

Further, some of the new Gasgas bikes are having various serious issues.

Edited by stpauls

If your average size with any off-road experience I would see if you can find a good Beta 200 or any brand 250 in the best condition you can get would work well.  

If your new to off-road then a 125 would be great.

if your an extra large person And have experience then a larger bike like a 280, 290, or 300 could be ok but I would still say a 200 or 250 would likely be better.

example: I am 190 lbs and my wife's 08 Gas Gas TXT Pro 125 works just fine for me and was our first family bike tell I got my 250, and if I had been able to find a second 125 I would likely have picked it up instead of my 250...

My 2 cents.  Hope it helps.

Edited by jonnyc21
clarification on the term average.
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

If your average with any off-road experience I would see if you can find a good Beta 200 or any brand 250 in the best condition you can get would work well.  

If your new to off-road then a 125 would be great.

if your an extra large person And have experience then a larger bike like a 280, 290, or 300 could be ok but I would still say a 200 or 250 would likely be better.

example: I am 190 lbs and my wife's 08 Gas Gas TXT Pro 125 works just fine for me and was our first family bike tell I got my 250, and if I had been able to find a second 125 I would likely have picked it up instead of my 250...

My 2 cents.  Hope it helps.

Funny how you always go back to saying the 125 works just fine.... I have to agree!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nhuskys said:

Funny how you always go back to saying the 125 works just fine.... I have to agree!

Ya I have a habit of that... ;)

I will note that, you will never here me tell someone they should get a 125, however I have found people think they will not work well for someone of my size.  The funny thing is that I can't do anything on my 250 I can't also do on the 125 so... take that for what its worth.  :thumbup:

FYI: I ride intermediate and practice as much advanced as I can do for skill reference...

• Like 1