199 plastic tanks and ethanol

jontribe

Hi Chaps

Another new owner question... Can anyone enlighten me, what is the problem with the plastic tanks and ethanol??

I'm pretty sure my 78 model 199 has a plastic thank that's been painted by the PO, I attach a pic FYI (can anyone confirm, is it plastic of fiberglass?). Not sure when it was painted, I was told it had not been used for the last 10 years, so I don't think the paint is recent. I have heard about the ethanol issue with paint and decals falling off due to the fumes migrating out. The reason for my question is I noticed a small blister on the tank yesterday had appeared... I did have 10% ethanol gas in there for about a week, but no longer, I can get non-ethanol fuel here which is what it has in it now. Is the new blister on my tank due to ethanol, or my paranoia! Is this problem that drastic?

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas??

TIA

2017-04-15 06.46.49.jpg

Some of the early production 199's, did indeed have fibreglass tanks. The factory then switched to poly tanks for the vast majority of the production run. 

Often thought that the fibreglass tank looked much nicer, as the paint made for a richer finish than the matt red finish of the poly tanks. But I know I much more prefer a poly tank when riding in actual competition, as the fibreglass was prone to damage.

Sold a good few replacement red poly tanks back in the day, to let us say, the more "enthusiastic" type rider! :P

Edited by model80
  • Like 2

I've used Caswell on a poly 199 tank. I did it a couple of years ago and the lining is still in one piece but it isn't completely attached to the inside surface of the tank anymore. In other words the inner epoxy shell is still fuel-tight but it's becoming loose inside the tank. The cured epoxy is quite tough. I followed the prep procedure to the letter but it's very hard to roughen the inside of the tank and it's difficult to get anything to adhere to poly even with the best prep. I only lined it because of some cracks in the tank (and to stop the decals bubbling). It doesn't leak but if it ever does I'll  throw it away and put a new one on rather than mess around with relining.

Complete waste off time and money if you Ask me many have tried and failed the best tank to use for decals is alloy but don't see the point if your riding it unless you can get hold off 1 off the early plastic tanks with the printed decals they don't come off but do fade over time.