triumph tiger cub pvl fitting

queenmonkey

Hi guys, i'm fast reaching a point where i need to decided what to do next on my rebuild. I've got the primary chain on but not the clutch plates etc.  I haven't fitted the cylinder yet so opted to fit the pvl ignition i brought from sammy miller products a year ago.  I've brought a case that serco have machined so my pillars are in place.  ive had a look in the bag that the pvl kit was sent in and i have a back plate, large washer, plug cap, a rotor and coil type thing (?).  I also have various instructions that refer to a 'large diameter alloy spacer' and '1/4'' bore spacers'?  I have none of the latter items but on reference to SM Products parts list they are shown in the illustration of the kit i purchased! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Now I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on what might be a problem. However, judging that I'm missing some parts (see above) it may be that their addition may resolve matters?!  What i want to know is - should i still be using the original distance piece that was fitted beneath the original lucas stator?  I didn't have a spacer fitted to my bike when i dismantled it.

The bit that most confuses me is that the stator that i have my kit has a much larger diameter hole through its centre than the width of the crankshaft?  It slops about!  The shouldered nut that secures is also of smaller diameter?

Can any one explain this to me please and if i should be using the original distance piece.

QM

Your rotor should be fitted on to a sleeve So you have the sprocket the sleeve {make sure the woodruff key does not touch the rotor)then the rotor I think the large ring went on fallowed by the nut The stator fits on the pegs (mounting pillars) and set the timing making sure there is an air gap all round between rotor and stator Recheck timing once you tighten the rotor as it can move as it is not keyed to the crank