2018 EC models

chewy

Just become proud owners of 2018 (yes!) gassers a 250 and a 125.  I appreciate I.ll have to wait for Glen to get back from sunny Spain but am looking for general experiences from others. I should say we have less than 2 hours on the clock so my impressions are probably a bit premature.

1) The reworked clutch is dragging (even adjusted right to the extreme/ the hydraulic element is fine)   is this a funtion of the OEM filled oil?

2) The steering is sweet..don.t know what they changed in detail but yep great.

3) Both the bikes feel a bit "flighty" or nervous  which with the clutch drag makes them harder to ride than my  old bike (280 2015)

3a) They are both "hard" to start  as if it could be a sticky float needle;.. definitly not first kick (yes I know there is a knack plenty of practice with that)

4 My gut feeling is a weak spark, if I set the carburation (only using air screw and idle) to run smooth and sweet it makes the bike more nervous than if I set it to run lumpy/rich on tickover.

clearly the motors are  tight ( reccomended 8 hours of running in) so it may simply be this. Being  a parsimonious pensioner I cant help bemoaning that we are going to take the edge off two new tyres whilst struggling with draggy clutches and tight motors before I can make a proper assesment. I can say they.re not straight from the box /PDI easyplan to get on and ride well.

1) What has been reworked on the clutch? Dragging can be from a number of areas, leaking slave seals, passing master cylinder seal (most likely, even from new), oil too viscous or warped clutch plates. I'd first check the oil, which should be fine coming from the factory, then try a new kit in the master cylinder.

2) Can you better explain "flighty" Are they a bit sharp in pick up, are they a bit lean in the mixture? Some years back GG sent out bikes with a homologated set of jets in the carb, then supplied a "race" set for proper trials use, pilot and main jet from memory. If a DellOrto carb, should be around 33 pilot and 115 main.

3) Hard starting may be the carb float arms are not parallel with the main body, they could be allowing the floats to close the fuel valve too soon if set wrongly. There is a height measurement too, approx 18.5mm from the body when upside down, more or less. Just look for being parallel.

Bye, Peter B.

well its strange ; I spent an hour tinkering on saturday;  effectivly

..air mix richened by 1/4 turn ..just off lumpy tickover

clutch master cylinder/lever adjusted 1/2 mm leaving just minimum free play for the piston to return to its stop position

fork preload off by two turns ...(rear spring on by 2 turns  &handlebars raised 5 mm on mine.. I suppose i should have a fat man spring as I am now 83Kg..but if i was  serious i would have bought the 3 way rear damper  these bikes have Reiger two way i.e  spring preload and Damping adjust for compression;rebound is single adjuster)

I did find the chain tensioner on mine was sticking.....take off /lube  and refit.....all part of ADI process.

Et voila  they are different bikes... Sundays session restored our faith... today is confirmation session at Goudarges which is a very unforgiving venue.

PS Yes they are trials bikes...The clutch "rework" is typically vague sales publicity, both bikes have kehin carbs... I can.t spell...

I wonder if it may be something to do with heat cycle through the clutches  because they are so much better (Sunday evening )

IMG_20170417_131805.jpg

Edited by chewy
omissions

On 17/04/2017 at 5:19 PM, collyolly said:

2018 models available in April 2017 ! 

Not heard of this over in the UK, what are the changes that make them 2018.

Boiught from Dherbey Moto in france (we living here) dherbeymoto.com to check it out.  Model TXT Pro racing/E4

http://dherbeymoto.com/marchand/moto_neuves.php?sel_annee_num=8&sel_marque_num=2&sel_moto_num=284

PS Monday riding session was good, probably got used to the bikes now ....still feel I,m being rushed re stalling but  the motors are still tight which is good. All adjustments need to be very precise (10 deg. on air screw changes it completely). Steering is great, you would need a 3 way shock if you.re good enough I should fit a fat git spring ( Ihave to use the damping to "help" the spring which compromises/slows the extension when rock hopping or tring to deplace le arriere)...if my legs were 40 years younger it would be no problem but then I would have all the problems of a 25 year old...money,job,career, taxes,family, etc.. Clutch is OK ..plenty of feel but still drags a tiny bit ...hope imminent oil change will help that.  I have yet to benifit from the racing headlight but lights are compulsory here as is registration and insurance so just as soon as the C.O. C. arrives we.ll be "in business".

Just reminded myself that what I started out trying to find out is eg.; are there "fat spark" plugs available?   What G.box oil is best? (these are first new Gassers I.ve had in the last 20 years).

Just a note, We now done 6 hrs running in  found a few build faults ...chain tensioner sticking, a cylinder head bolt on the 125 was ready to fall out (noticed leak of coolant)  other comments lots of small adjustments to personalize the bikes had to set air mix a tad towards rich and pick up the tickover as the bike was rushing me or trying to stall..now that the clutch and I are getting along it,s fine although Janet is still having problems ( the motor is much crisper/cleaner than her 2014 model, probably due to the kehin carb). So far so good just hope Torrot can come up with the correct COC,s to get reg.d and insured before the Cantal.

On 17/04/2017 at 4:19 PM, collyolly said:

2018 models available in April 2017 ! 

Not heard of this over in the UK, what are the changes that make them 2018.

Am I right in thinking that the E4 isn't a 2018 bike? Isn't it just the 2017 racing that's been tweaked to meet with European emission restrictions? 

I spoke to a shop in Spain & he said he had decided to not even stock any E4's until all his normal racing bikes had sold out because they where basically the same with different emissions testing. 

The E4's were just a mid year model refresh for 2017, since the original 2017 GG arrived so early due to all the "we're out of business, we're back in business" mess. http://www.gasgasmotos.es/us/trial.html

The only 2018's GG has released is the 125 'Trial School' model, the 80 Racing, and the Contact.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2017 at 10:46 PM, chewy said:

Goudarges

"Goudarges" as in Gourdargues?  If that's the same, I grew up pretty damn close to there, "fell" quite a few times in the canals, swam in the Casecasde du Sautadet every summer, terrorized the whole area on my IT175...  Fun memories!  How's the trials riding there?

Hi Chewy how are you? 

This will start another panto session of opinions BUT

In my experience including SSDT, Tre Giorni Valtellina,  Santigosa etc etc the clutch works best with dexron 3 ATF.

It's cheap as chips but that's not why I use it. 

All of my Pro bikes have continually started on the third kick hot or cold. No idea why but I can live with it.

I've now got a TRS RR by the way,  very good. 

Cheers 

• Like 1