Rear Brake Power - NG Brake Disk?

mcman56

I have a 2014 factory model beta.  The rear brake has always seemed weak.  I got a ride today on a 2017 factory model and the brake felt much much better....much stronger yet just as easy to control.  Visually, the main difference is the NG brake disk which has less cut out area so more friction area.   Has anyone tried installing the NG disk on a 2014 or anything else to improve brake power?   The other difference I noticed was that the metal backing plate of the pads was sort of a bright brass colour.  Mine are sort of a dull colour.   I think they mine are the Jitsi race pads but the originals felt much the same.

Go ahead and get a rebuild kit for the M/C. But I would flush the system out before you do it.  Also I agree with the Galfer`s. I just did my 2016 and the fluid was as black as night. All theses new M/C`s all seem to turn color fast.  

Something I had never really noticed in the past was the amount of wear on discs. This has caused me numerous problems. 

Once pads were worn down anywhere near half thickness the brakes would be sticking on and binding. I assume because the pistons were too far out.

Check your discs for a distinct lip on the edge.

• Like 1

I've ridden 3 evos and all rear brakes were weak.

On my 2012 the only thing that makes it work consistently without needing loads of force is managing the temperature, draging it before it's needed to warm it up, but not over doing it and overheating it.

That's with a new Inch perfect trials own make disk, s33 pads, new fluid. (Got Galfer pads to try next)

The heat and water trick works but only for 30 min for me.

Just had a quick search for 2017 master cylinders, couldn't find the bore, still the same make but the outer casting is different. It's still 40mm between hole centers and I haven't seen different brake pedals listed so it should be interchangeable.

There isn't much room for brake pedal travel before it hits the frame so I doubt they could reduce the bore by much.

If anyone with a 2017 bike could confirm that it makes much difference I might upgrade.

3 hours ago, totty79 said:

Just had a quick search for 2017 master cylinders, couldn't find the bore, still the same make but the outer casting is different. It's still 40mm between hole centers and I haven't seen different brake pedals listed so it should be interchangeable.

There isn't much room for brake pedal travel before it hits the frame so I doubt they could reduce the bore by much.

If anyone with a 2017 bike could confirm that it makes much difference I might upgrade.

Miles better on the 2017 , more braking power ,but still has feel ..

3 hours ago, totty79 said:

If your pedal is getting to the frame id suggest it is the master cyl that is at fault. 

Thanks for the info on the 2017. I'll try the galfer pads since I've already got them, if it's still not great I'll fit a 2017 master cylinder.

My pedal doesn't hit the frame, and as far as I'm aware there is no fault, all evo rear brakes I've tried have been equally poor.

I know the range of travel available is limited as I've checked it when looking for ways to modify it.

I also think the rear brake on my 2014 is weak. I've recently been thinking whether or not a fluid change/bleed/new pads would help, but if it's a known weakness then probably not! I'd also be interested in the 2017 'upgrade'. I'll have a look on Beta-UK and report back on price