Queueing etiquette

collyolly

I recall a section at the Forfar club's Aberfeldy 2 Day caused queueing problems to the extent that the pushers in were actually in the section before they set off.  The observer just docked them a five for being stationary.  

Another one of them forced in front of me as I was letting the clutch out to enter the section - fortunately there was enough width that I was able to overtake him in the section.  Don't think he was happy with that five.  

• Like 4

Let them stress themselves up, stand back and chill...

Whenever I had a trainee and they wanted to dash about and get themselves stressed up, I told them this story: An old bull and young bull are standing at the top of a hill, the young bull says to the old bull; 'Let's run down the hill and shag a cow.'

The old bull replies: 'Let's walk down and shag them all....'

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wakka said:

Come to New Zealand and ride we only have 35 ish riders at a National event and have awesome day

In contrast, I live near Bath, England, Great Britain.

Every single week, usually within a one hour's drive there will be at least two Trials meetings.  Within a two hour drive there will be four or five, probably more.  The minimum number of riders will be in the 40s - unusual.  A big meet will have around 100.  Usually it is 60 - 70 riders.  

All will have an Expert, Clubman and Novice routes, with many being further differentiated with 50/50 and/or Gentleman's etc routes.

Venues include quarries, woods, moorland, gullies, steep hillsides etc

Meetings will be for modern bikes, classic bikes or both.

The sport is given little/no coverage in the media, despite Emma Bristow being the Ladies World Trials Champion!

Often there is a tea wagon.  Rarely (in the South) are there any trade stands etc.

I was watching an Austrailian Trials video on youtube a few months back.

It roughly said that nearly all trials riders are nice people which is true.

However it was stated there aways seems to be one insufferable a***hole who is generally tolerated by rest.

I try not to be that person at every trial.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, breagh said:

However it was stated there aways seems to be one insufferable a***hole who is generally tolerated by rest.

Just at the occasional trial?  :lol:

1 hour ago, breagh said:

Your not aiming particularly high if your only ambition is "not to be an ahole"

• Like 1

I have heard rumors that sometimes those queue jumpers have had their fuel tap turned off, or their idle screw adjusted, or their spark plug wire mysteriously come loose at a latter section.  Of course they are in such a rush that they don’t become aware until their bike stalls half way through the section.      Karma.

• Like 1

Unfortunately a lot of selfish fathers instil this selfish attitude in young riders. Often in youth national trials where times are tight you will see daddy holding the bike in the queue whilst little lad walks about in the section till the last minute so the rider can be onto his bike waiting at the front of the queue for him. Only the rider can get the bike round the course so this should be stamped out at an early age.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, b40rt said:

Your not aiming particularly high if your only ambition is "not to be an ahole"

I can think of one or two for whom that would be a major achievement :D

• Like 4

7 hours ago, timp said:

Unfortunately a lot of selfish fathers instil this selfish attitude in young riders. Often in youth national trials where times are tight you will see daddy holding the bike in the queue whilst little lad walks about in the section till the last minute so the rider can be onto his bike waiting at the front of the queue for him. Only the rider can get the bike round the course so this should be stamped out at an early age.

You never had this problem back in the day.

Most dads were there simply to drive there charges to the event and observe if required.

It was up to junior to get on with it .

Now I have to wet nurse the wee boy round every trial it's pityful ,he broke an exhaust a brake lever and a fuel tap at the weekend .If he knew he had to push his bike half way along the Mamore road  after crashing he'd be a sight more careful.

Trying my patience and taking advantage of my good nature I say.

Should be a rule parents can't go within 100 yards of there kids during a trial ,make my day anyway.

• Like 5

I remember as a Youth riding my Bulto 250 (you could ride a 250 back then) you could also as an 'A' class rider also ride adult trials.

Remember once cheekily pushing my bike to get to the front as you do and getting a few looks!

Only to discover when I was ready to attack the section selected first and the bloody bike set off backwards knocking a few in the queue over like dominos ???

• Like 1