Queueing etiquette

collyolly

Just got back from a fabulous weekend of trials with the 'South West Classic Trials Association'  (Congratulations to everyone involved in arranging such a superb event ) , only thing to spoil the event in my view was the selfish view some take with regard to queueing at the sections.

We all know it's a multi lap event with lots of riders, so a couple of sections end up with queues of say 15 - 20 riders waiting to have their go, some seem to think it's acceptable to ride to near the front park their bike amble down to have another look at the section then just come back to their bike and join the queue at the front !

What the heck do they think the rest of us are doing sitting there with our engines off, we are probably just making up the numbers !

We are all just too 'British' to make a fuss.

Edited by collyolly
Spelling !
  • Like 3

happy memories of doing the Manx  Gazzer Scrivs was similarly incenced so he went up to the guy asked him what he saw....."riders??"  no its a f ing queu  and thats the back of it now get back there....it worked.......Some guys have thier head so far up thier own a*** they find it impossible to consider others especially when it.s a competion.  They need to be told is the message, I mean what is the worst they can do or say once the position is made clear. Usual answer is oh I had a problem/puncture /etc and need to catch up. Invariably these types are first to be finished ,loaded and on their happy way home ....maybe they,re  pussy wipped or their mum told them to be home early??? Its a long time since I rode in championship events where you used to have to grow big elbows  and push and shove with the rest of em.  Takes the edge off of a day out though. We also had the same old faces doing this back when I rode in our centre trials...maybe naming and shaming what with all this social media would calm them down a bit........rant over...... you.re not alone oni nou

• Like 3

Im fairly new to the sport and only done 8 trials but i noticed this straight away and found it a bit annoying especially on the single lap events ive done.

Ive also noticed riders bypassing the busy sections on multi lappers and going onto the next then doing the missed one twice on the next lap when the queue has gone which seems like a good solution to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrturtle said:

Im fairly new to the sport and only done 8 trials but i noticed this straight away and found it a bit annoying especially on the single lap events ive done.

Ive also noticed riders bypassing the busy sections on multi lappers and going onto the next then doing the missed one twice on the next lap when the queue has gone which seems like a good solution to me. 

Not allowed.  Sections must be ridden in sequence.  ACU rule book...  It's OK if your told to start at say section 5 but then you still ride the sections in order and finish at section 4. Some clubs will exclude riders who don't ride in sequence.  We had a few cheats who would just go and ride the muddy sections first. A couple i'm sure still do... 

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 3

Reminds me of a magazine article I read in the 70s about Malcolm Rathmell and Martin Lampkin. In those days the best works riders rode British championships and nationals alongside maybe 100 lesser lights, for whom such events were probably the highlight of their trialling year.  It was common practice to see the works guys' bikes wedged in at the front of the queue at each section. As Mart put it "they think it's because we can't be bothered waiting" but actually there was more to it. The best riders would spend time rearranging rocks and stamping mud into the optimal state for riding the section. After all this boot work they couldn't afford for the spinning wheels of 20 duffers to undo their gardening efforts, so had to have their bikes handy to jump on and ride the section at the best moment. This was all done under the unwritten rules of the sport at the time and nobody complained about it. The way I saw it, these guys were riding for a living or at least to make a few bob. I had Monday morning to do that.

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, collyolly said:

Just got back from a fabulous weekend of trials with the 'South West Classic Trials Association'  (Congratulations to everyone involved in arranging such a superb event ) , only thing to spoil the event in my view was the selfish view some take with regard to queueing at the sections.

We all know it's a multi lap event with lots of riders, so a couple of sections end up with queues of say 15 - 20 riders waiting to have their go, some seem to think it's acceptable to ride to near the front park thier bike amble down to have another look at the section then just come back to their bike and join the queue at the front !

What the heck do they think the rest of us are doing sitting there with our engines off, we are probably just making up the numbers !

We are all just too 'British' to make a fuss.

Sounds like a certain Mr Thorpe :D

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cleanorbust said:

The way I saw it, these guys were riding for a living or at least to make a few bob. I had Monday morning to do that.

I've corrected your spelling. " The way I saw it, these guys were cheating for a living or at least to make a few bob. I had Monday morning to do that."

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, b40rt said:

I've corrected your spelling. " The way I saw it, these guys were cheating for a living or at least to make a few bob. I had Monday morning to do that."

I'll have you know every penny I've earned is above board and I'd look any taxman in the eye to say so. Probably.

• Like 1

I rode the exmoor 2 day SWCTA and as you say it was a exceptionally well ran event, great sections, natural terrain and a lot of fun, much credit deserved to all involved.  i read with interest the original post and thought it was just me that felt queue jumping was particularly bad this year, obviously not, the first thing i said on my return to the car at the end of day two was the ignorant queue jumpers seemed to be worse than ever this year!!!  

Attend the same type of event regularly and i guarantee it will be the same bods - they know who they are, i refuse to let an ignorant few ruin my days fun or stoop to their level of ignorance by confronting them, it will end messy and the last thing our sport/hobby needs is bad press or bad feeling, rise above it, plus as cleanorbust signature block states ' Why pick a fight with an idiot when the best possible result is that you won against an idiot' 

substitute 'idiot' for whatever title best suits them in your own mind :D.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cleanorbust said:

Reminds me of a magazine article I read in the 70s about Malcolm Rathmell and Martin Lampkin. In those days the best works riders rode British championships and nationals alongside maybe 100 lesser lights, for whom such events were probably the highlight of their trialling year.  It was common practice to see the works guys' bikes wedged in at the front of the queue at each section. As Mart put it "they think it's because we can't be bothered waiting" but actually there was more to it. The best riders would spend time rearranging rocks and stamping mud into the optimal state for riding the section. After all this boot work they couldn't afford for the spinning wheels of 20 duffers to undo their gardening efforts, so had to have their bikes handy to jump on and ride the section at the best moment. This was all done under the unwritten rules of the sport at the time and nobody complained about it. The way I saw it, these guys were riding for a living or at least to make a few bob. I had Monday morning to do that.

Lot of truth in that and still happens today