Difficulty with Rev 3 flywheel weight screws

stealth

Hi all.

Apologies if this has cropped up on here before. 

I need to remove the flywheel on my 08 Rev 3 as I believe the woodruff key has broken, and although the flywheel nut has come undone easily the 2 countersunk crosshead screws holding the weight in place won't budge. This may seem like a daft question, but could they possibly have a reverse thread? Have tried several times to move them but to no avail and I am afraid that I'll end up mashing the heads if the screwdriver slips too many times.

If the flywheel will come off with the weight attatched are they easily separated on the bench or would it be better to leave it on the bike to do? And am I right in assuming that if I don't remove the weight then I won't be able to hold the flywheel in place to re-tighten it?   

Many thanks in advance.

I have just refitted the extra weight to my 2007 rev 3 270 (the previous owner had removed it) and had to source two new screws - they are standard right hand thread M8 x 16mm thread countersunk screws (I used socket head ones for use with an Allen key) - If you damage yours getting them out, just ask and I'll send you a couple (I had to buy a bag of 10).

Hope that helps, good luck

Mark

• Like 1

Normal thread screws. Take it off pointt the electric hot air gun at the screws for a minute and  then use an impact driver to slacken screws. Or heat gently if you can  on the bike and use a good posi drive with pressure and leverage. Ie wrench or vice grips on ya screwy. 

• Like 1

impact driver.. use the right size driver head.. pretty sure they will be phillips not pozi drive.. lie bike on its side..give screws plenty of penetrating oil let it soak in for 10 mins then HIT the driver and they ll come out .. IF you have to drill them out.. dont use 8mm drill bit use a 5 or 6 and you ll save the threads.. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2017 at 1:10 PM, markparrish said:

I have just refitted the extra weight to my 2007 rev 3 270 (the previous owner had removed it) and had to source two new screws - they are standard right hand thread M8 x 16mm thread countersunk screws (I used socket head ones for use with an Allen key) - If you damage yours getting them out, just ask and I'll send you a couple (I had to buy a bag of 10).

Hope that helps, good luck

Mark

Thanks very much Mark, that's very kind.