Ty175 Side Stand

doogle

Got a side stand off eBay that was billed  as a 175 side stand. It looks like one but is far too short. So don't know if it's been cut down or is off a TY80 or something. 

Would one of you with an original side stand on their 175 be kind enough to measure it for me? I'm going to cut it and weld an extension in.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks for the replies. It's definitely too short, no doubt about that. Shorter than all the pictures, shorter than all my other trials bikes. Could have ruined my 9 hour drive to the highland classic last year when it fell over and snapped a lever as I walked section one. Scratched and dented the tank though. Rode it yesterday in the Kia round at Nene valley (good trial nene valley, well done) and fell over numerous times there, so that was the motivation to finally pull my finger out and sort it out. Just after a measurement off one that has a side stand that works. It's not s full restoration but is/will be a nice one.

Cheers 

Dave

There are two different TY175 stands. One for the models that have the mount on the RH swingarm arm and the other for the models with the stand mount on on the LH footpeg mount. They are different lengths and are also opposite hand to each other.

Another thing to consider is that almost no-one runs a TY175 nowadays with standard length shockies. Most common length shocks are 340mm which is about 20mm longer than original, and shockies longer than standard cause the standard stand to be too short.

Some people run the fork tubes flush with the top triple clamp which also causes the standard stand to be too short.

The other thing is that rear trials tyres are a lot deeper/higher than they were in 1975 so the lean angle depends a lot on how much weight is on the rear tyre when it is on the stand

The usual solutions that I see are to extend the stand to the right length for your bike set-up, or leave it off the bike

Edited by feetupfun
I thought of something alse to add

4 hours ago, feetupfun said:

There are two different TY175 stands. One for the models that have the mount on the RH swingarm arm and the other for the models with the stand mount on on the LH footpeg mount. They are different lengths and are also opposite hand to each other.

Another thing to consider is that almost no-one runs a TY175 nowadays with standard length shockies. Most common length shocks are 340mm which is about 20mm longer than original, and shockies longer than standard cause the standard stand to be too short.

Some people run the fork tubes flush with the top triple clamp which also causes the standard stand to be too short.

The other thing is that rear trials tyres are a lot deeper/higher than they were in 1975 so the lean angle depends a lot on how much weight is on the rear tyre when it is on the stand

The usual solutions that I see are to extend the stand to the right length for your bike set-up, or leave it off the bike

Yes, shocks are 350mm and fork tubes flush. Rear tyre is 3.5psi. Yes the way forward is to extend it. 

Didn't there was a left and right hand option. My stand is on the right, throttle side. Whether it's the right stand for that side I don't know. But think so.

No point you copying the length of a standard stand because your bike is too high for that.

Just fit blocks of wood under the stand until you get your bike to stand at the angle you want, then add the thickness of the blocks to the length of the stand

• Like 2

I have two 175 yellows, front fork tubes 15 mm out, stock swing arm.

FWIW, my stand is 13.5 inches, about 345 mm from pivot bolt to bottom of tghe foot roughly on the c/l of the tube.

How far forward the stand goes makes a big difference. The stop surfaces of the bracket and stand wear, and as it rests further forward, the bike leans more.

I've built several for TY80 as they were pretty unavailable and worn, and the 'blocks of wood under the old stand' is I think the best way to get a measurement.

Edited by kevin j
  • Like 1