Front Fork Repairs

txtconnor

so some scrotes tried to nick my bike but they where thankfully halted before they managed to get away with it. however during their bumbling the have managed to put some quite large scratches in the fork stanchions while trying to get it through the gap they had created by lifting the concrete fence panels. so what is my best bet on repairing said scratches? could i i use epoxy or the liquid steel putty? or am i better off just filling the burrs and making them as soon as posible without filling them? any guides or tutorials would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Really hard to advise without seeing and ideally feeling them, if after de-burring a finger nail still snags then they will need filling as well - that's assuming they aren't so bad that they need to be plated and ground.

Something soft like nail polish is quick and easy for small scratches. Metal filled epoxy like JB weld is long lasting, but you can do a lot of damage to the surrounding area trying to get it smooth - if you sand too early while it's soft it grains, if you do it fully cured it's really tough.

Its a pity the scrotes didnt get trapped in the concrete panels instead of your forks. :wall:

If you need to fill the damage I did this on a stanction with quick steel,  use the old fork seal to clean off the excess as its going off. Worked well. 

Just done the very same repair to the stanchions on my lads bike, fortunately not caused by the same reasons/scrotes - that unfortunately happened to us 3 years ago so I feel your pain, they managed both our trials bikes, my KTM 690SMC and 3 push bikes - nothing like filling your boots is it!

Anyway, rubbed the burrs down with 600 grit wet and dry then worked my way through till I finished on 1500 grit (always using something to wet the area, I used engine oil), then I filled the 'dips' with nail varnish (for those of you wondering it was Maybelline Fuchsianista!) and let that go off overnight. Next job was to rub the varnish back with 1000 grit working my way up to 1500 grit using water as a lube medium. I wasn't completely happy with the finish (could still feel my finger nail dragging over the repaired area) so reapplied the nail varnish and went through the process again. He's only ridden the bike for one outing since but there were no leaks. The important thing to have with this process is lots of patience and keep working it get a smooth burr free finish.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, totalshell said:

use something like a carborundem stone to smooth the burrs off the scratches.. then use it and see if alls well.. if you could could stand a penny up in them though fill with epoxy and file back to smooooooooth good luck..

As totalshell said, use a fine stone and give them a try :thumbup: