timing for unweighting?

I see that some riders can get a very quick almost explosive jump up from the pegs when unloading.  When I attempt, it feels kind of slow and mostly like I'm compressing the rear suspension rather than pushing my body up quickly.  Does this imply that my timing is off...maybe too early?  I get some lift but not as much as I would like.  I'm 155 lbs if that makes a difference. 

OK I wrote a long explanation but it was too much so I'll distill it down to this. After the quick burst of throttle at the same time you jump to load the rear suspension snap the throttle off. If you stay on the gas the rear suspension won't release its energy all at once. Try it with bunny hops. Lift the front end and jump while snapping the throttle off. The rear should lift off when the timing is right. Or try this experiment, hold the rear brake on and slowly let out the clutch and note how the rear end squats. That's the stored energy you release by chopping the throttle.

• Like 6

Dan - Are you saying the jump comes after the throttle burst? 

I'm trying to do it at the same time.  Actually, I'm trying to compress the front wheel on the obstacle, hit the throttle and jump all at the seem time.  Although, there are a number of things that have to happen in a short time period so what I'm actually doing may be somewhat different.

Yup two burps of throttle is the easiest to control. The first lifts the front and the second helps compress the front and rear suspension. The jump up and forward happens just before the second burst of throttle. The jump is actually two motions. First forward then up. If you watch Bou and company in slow motion the bigger the hit the further back they start. The up part of the jump really starts with the front wheel contact.

The mistake most people make while learning is staying on the throttle so the rear never leaves the ground and just burys itself at the base of the obstacle.

Hey mcman,

I'm new to trials and got my first bike back in February, so I'm learning myself. I found it easiest to learn the timing with flat ground bunny hops. I crouch into the pegs as I get on the throttle, then jump as I get off the throttle and pop the clutch, allowing the flywheel energy to propel the bike evenly off the ground. If the bike wheelies, it means you didn't get off the throttle soon enough. I'm on and off the throttle before the back tire even leaves the ground. I've seen footage of trials schools where instructors teach this method as well.

Someone was asking me to try to get better shots of my hands doing this. This was the most recent video I recorded to try to show my timing. It may help. Spend your next session or two just doing flat ground bunny hops and you'll get the timing down. I'm already bottoming my too-soft suspension so if I want more lift I just give a bigger pop of the clutch at higher revs to dump all that stored energy instantly.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I've been mucking about with zaps and what I'd love to see is a really good side view zap video with Picture-in-Picture like you've done, but with the inset video being an action cam mounted on the bars looking at the clutch, or ideally clutch and throttle. This would really show the timing of throttle clutch and jump.

Any takers. If you shoot the video I'll sync and edit it (just need a hand clap or similar in both videos to sync them on).

• 2 months later...

Yeah, having watched loads of trials training videos on YouTube, the missing piece is in-picture synch'd close-ups of throttle and clutch. You can often work out the throttle timing from the engine noise, although the slow-mo ones, which are good for body position, fudge the sound track so it's harder, unfortunately.

Having said that, many, many thanks to all those out there who have taken the time to make and post these trials training vids up on to You Tube ? I don't want to sound ungrateful!

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Dan you need to start compressing your rear suspension during the wheelie so that your rear suspension is at maximum compression when your front wheel hits. The instruction videos say to dump the clutch and jump at the same time your front wheel hits the obstacle. That is exactly right but when most people think "jump" they visualize dropping down to load their legs and then exploding up.   This exploding up part is the "jump" that is described in the instructional videos.  Instead of trying to separating the loading your legs, which compresses your rear suspension, and the exploding up into two separate actions, just try to initiate the two part jump sooner. 

• 8 months later...
On 5/2/2017 at 7:58 PM, jacob429 said:

Hey mcman,

I'm new to trials and got my first bike back in February, so I'm learning myself. I found it easiest to learn the timing with flat ground bunny hops. I crouch into the pegs as I get on the throttle, then jump as I get off the throttle and pop the clutch, allowing the flywheel energy to propel the bike evenly off the ground. If the bike wheelies, it means you didn't get off the throttle soon enough. I'm on and off the throttle before the back tire even leaves the ground. I've seen footage of trials schools where instructors teach this method as well.

Someone was asking me to try to get better shots of my hands doing this. This was the most recent video I recorded to try to show my timing. It may help. Spend your next session or two just doing flat ground bunny hops and you'll get the timing down. I'm already bottoming my too-soft suspension so if I want more lift I just give a bigger pop of the clutch at higher revs to dump all that stored energy instantly.

Excellent for a beginner! 

That's talent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 8:59 AM, heffergm said:

Wish that was in english they make it look so easy  so they rev first then shut down the revs and let go of the clutch using the power that has been built up then a little more on top to ride off  am I right or totally wrong thanks 

Edited by Robert n

I don't think they shut down the revs "before" letting go of the clutch... I believe they feather the clutch out to control how big the hit is. Basically you are controlling the speed and acceleration with the clutch not the throttle... but I am no expert :).

• Like 1