Predictions?

baldilocks

So who will win the six days? 

Dougie must be favourite but I'd love to see Michael Brown win having been second so many times.

Jack Price has ridden before on a 125 but should do much better on  a 300.

What do people think ?

• Like 1

Naturally I would want Gary Mac to win as it would be a massive boost to trials up here. Alex Wigg has won before and Ross Danby goes well up there.

Dougie had a bit luck last year with a load of sections scrapped on his early day but he's had problems up there in the past.

Def non winner is CoC Jeff Horne who's got a last minuter but I'll be impressed if he get's round.

Brown to win though long overdue.

If Mike Brown doesn't win it this year I'm not sure he ever will.  I believe this is his time to do it for a variety of reasons. 

In relation to Garry MacDonald I don't think it's any secret he has become fatigued over the years struggling with the logistical difficulties of travel, expenditure, minders etc, while trying to compete against a very talented peer group at British level and this has probably had a knock on effect regarding the SSDT. 

He talked publicly last year about metaphorically losing his mojo for trials and having to rekindle the desire which was probably a result of going so close last year (which would be a bit deflating) and the fact that he has always been too good a rider to have been stuck up here amongst a lower level of rider.

I think I'm right in saying he hasn't done much competing since then until now so he may come back with a fresher mind set and other circumstances will fall into place for him but personally speaking I would have liked to have seen him intensify his efforts last year rather than take time out because like Mike Brown this could be his year.

Remarkable if Doug pulls it off again but then again wining is intrinsic to his DNA.

Prediction: MB.

Edited by the dabster
spelling

Gary has no competition up here, I suspect that's why he lost his trials mojo. He is heavy in to his cycling now, and again has proved bloody good at that also, so probably new challenges has seen him change his focus, doubt anyone can question his desire and commitment to the sport he has given for the last 20 years, mainly on his own. 

9 hours ago, doogle said:

I think it will be Doug again. I reckon he's got a couple more wins in him. Think Michael Brown is the only one that can stop him realistically unless there are bike issues etc.

Tend to agree. There are so many aspects beyond cleaning sections that the SSDT winner needs to put together to net the win, and Dougie has mastered them all. For me, on mental toughness alone he starts with an advantage over the rest of the field which he tends to drive home as the week wears on. This happened last year, has anything changed in the last twelve months to make it different now?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

Tend to agree. There are so many aspects beyond cleaning sections that the SSDT winner needs to put together to net the win, and Dougie has mastered them all. For me, on mental toughness alone he starts with an advantage over the rest of the field which he tends to drive home as the week wears on. This happened last year, has anything changed in the last twelve months to make it different now?

He was on a mission the other weekend at Santigosa, against GP Riders much younger and could have so easily come 2nd to Fuji, but an uncharacteristic 5 changed that

9 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

He was on a mission the other weekend at Santigosa, against GP Riders much younger and could have so easily come 2nd to Fuji, but an uncharacteristic 5 changed that

A little tip  for Michael from a long time rider AND observer... try not to gob in the sections  .. a stupid comment but pschology affects observers as well as competitors. As an official I,ve had "run ins" with Douggie over the years but he is so professional and able...barring disasters it,s his to lose.

• Like 3

Doug will be hard to beat , lots of capable lads who could do it aswell though, Jack Sheppard could be a dark horse and Ben Hemingway is always a threat ,I'd like to see brown win as I'm sure alot of others would it just seems to have never gone his way up to now, Dan Thorpe too, my predicted top 3 lampkin, brown,Sheppard