Montesa Cota 247 1978 what to expect?

iconic558

Been offered a Cota 247 1978......up on its toes, easy starter, good compression and running ok, sound clutch, no dragging....tidy but unrestored. I could trial this bike next weekend....if ya fussy yes you would strip n tart her up.

I've had a short ride on flat grass and feels small and well balanced.

What is the form on these old war horses? I know nothing about them....are spares still an issue....is there the equivalent of the most fantastic 'Mr SWM' Mr Matthews behind early Cota's offering support 'n spares?

Cheers guys

PS my normal ride is an SWM...the Cota felt dated but quaint against the Speedy which won't be going anywhere...the Monty would be more an curio purchase.

xgnv4jgOsqa0GZr.jpg

Edited by iconic558

I've got that model of Montesa and also an SWM. In honesty I enjoy riding the Mont as it's still a decent bike in twinshock trials. You can get all the consumables you'll need from Inmotion, though this model, the 247c, was 237cc rather than 247cc so getting a piston could be awkward if you need one. However, old 247 barrels are pretty common on eBay so you could always fit one and get a piston for it from Inmotion (they do rebore sizes as well) .

If you ever need to split the cases you could be in for some fun as the crankshaft pinion (and gearbox sprocket) is a taper fit which can be a swine to remove.

£1100 sounds pretty decent for a sound example.

I've got that model in my collection, my mate Andy borrowed it last July to do a charity trial at Mallory Park and fell in love with it. They're a lovely bike, you'll enjoy it. And they've got a seat....

Lots of 247s must have been rebuilt over the years, not an insurmountable problem.

Looks quite a good one, though a pity it's lost it's original mudguards, which were an almost indestructible plastic. My one, which I bought new in 1979 (for £730!) and was reunited with a couple of years ago, has tubular loops welded on the frame as standard to protect the front/underside of the engine - hard to see if these are present on the bike in the pictures.

Well I bought that old bus, thanks for your help guys.

Got her home this evening and on first ride around the garden Monty makes my Speedy feel like a Rolls Royce, but then the Monty really does need some setting up to be fair. The Monty feels like a generation earlier than the Speedy yet I think it could be a damn good ride once sorted.

The 247's got a bloody tight turning circle and is physically a small bike for a 250...or 237:P and the gearbox is to die for..sweet changes and neutral is super easy to find. Clutch is fine..a bit on and off but cable is old.

Gearing feels too high...I'll check what she's running tomorrow.

Matching numbers and one of later of the 247C run.

Was owned by Roger Giles whom I believe rebuilt the engine few years back...I don't know Roger but I believe he was quite active in the Dabbers area twinshock scene?

Edited by iconic558

I,m curious as to what makes Speedy feel like a Rolls compared to the Mont. Is it power delivery,handling,suspension etc. or just a combination of it all. I have never ridden either brand but would love to find a Mont like that. Nice buy!

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/05/2017 at 2:40 AM, scot taco said:

I,m curious as to what makes Speedy feel like a Rolls compared to the Mont. Is it power delivery,handling,suspension etc. or just a combination of it all. I have never ridden either brand but would love to find a Mont like that. Nice buy!

Well first time out on the Mont' and did really well on her....beat my riding buddy.

Comparing the two the Speedy has lots more power, sharper brakes, plush suspension and light progressive clutch, quick chassis, runs consistently with spot on carburation a properly sorted cutting edge bike..... but.....

.....the Mont is soft, small, stable and very friendly. We seem to gel instantly. I'm a bit odd in what I like....can't get on with TY175's at all, Fantic 200's too....I like a ploddy engine I guess?

I think the Speedy is a far better bike in the right hands, but suited more for a talented rider than myself. A good rider would do better on a Speedy than the Mont.....Mr Below Average suits the Mont more...thats me.:P 

Evey the Monty is officially a keeper

Edited by iconic558
  • Like 4