Ross Noble

breagh

On 08/12/2017 at 1:37 PM, scifi said:

Didn't think much of the camera quality, mostly handlebar mounted Go-Pros.   But I suppose it is difficult to get a studio quality camera crew to some of the remote locations.

The production team (Grain Media) weren't prepared for what was involved and admitted this on Monday evening. They weren't allowed out on bikes and didn't know where to go to get the footage they needed. We gave them advise every day after Monday but it's not easy to film this trial from the road side. We did your best to get some footage for them of Ross on the further out sections but we'd wait ages then and he'd usually just ride up and ask for a five. We did get some section footage and some moor crossing stuff for them and gave them a fews years worth of older stuff they've used as fillers. Personally I'm enjoying the programs as it shows a different side of the event and just how hard it is for a run of the mill clubman.

I should add that Ross himself wanted to focus on the trial and not the filming and basically blanked the cameras other than at either end of the day and lunch stop. I saw him blank the filming team a few times when they wanting to check in with him at sections. 

• Like 7

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed watching the two episodes and it very much looks like an extended version of what I'm like on a road trial :P  But yeah, it's not made for trials fans.

Also, yes, Ross gets mad respect just for entering and walking the walk!

Edited by turbofurball

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think congratulations are due all round, what a superb insight into our sport, a little taster to the effort required to enter and finish a world class event.

Do not forget the flattening effect of film, the difficulty is never really conveyed to the non riding viewer , unfortunately  you have to try riding a bike  in an event to truely appreciate the difficulty. Thank heavens it was'nt raining or snowing !

I have no complaints about the fly on the wall filming I think it adds a lot of realism, Ross has to be respected for having a go and what a good egg he is, not giving up when many would have. The efforts and  support given by his team also have to be congratulated, Jamie may seem like he was pushing on but let's face it, it's what's needed, Ross did not have the experiance to finish this event without being forced on.

What ever happened to the road racing hero that did the pre65 never seen that on the telly !

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, collyolly said:

What ever happened to the road racing hero that did the pre65 never seen that on the telly !

From the clips I saw said Road racer was on a par with Ross as far as performance in the sections - I explained this to a few non trials but interested people and they had even more respect for Ross and the SSDT.

I think people are unaware how competent Ross is on a "normal bike" not those funny things with no seats:P

Edited by jimmyl

Anyone who thinks his clutch lever is on the right but finished the SSDT deserves respect ?. Probably very wise not to say he'd broke the brake lever then get filmed on the road.

I think they tried to overplay the chances of being excluded in the last episode but probably just trying to make it a bit more dramatic for tv. Overall it was very good for Joe public. My colleagues at work now know what I was doing the first week of may a few years back.

• Like 3

Park Ferme .....Car Park ...It was in the Park Ferme ....Car Park, Mr Noble did that one to death!??

Every bike in nearly all the shots looked the same, some mention of manufacturers involved and bike engine capacities would have helped serve the general viewing public and increased awareness. Where were some shots of Dougie as its usual to show the top flight competitor, again the public could have gauged Ross’s efforts more appreciatively. Some of the early 60’s films of this and other trials come across as more entertaining. I suspect anyone watching looking to take up a sport would delete Trials from their list as too difficult and potentially dangerous. Ross bog trotting and falling off again and again showed there was a distinct lack of guidance and advice, only on the last day did we hear James tell Ross to follow other riders tracks and to lift the front to get over the bogs? When I first saw the trailers for the show I waited with baited breath, now I’ve seen all three and I have to own up here; for the last 20 minutes I channel hopped between Ross and Master Chef as I had just about lost interest! Park Ferme ...Car Park etc etc

5/10 for the film 10/10 for Ross’s effort even though he had not prepared in plenty of time.

To be fair it's an impossible task to film without an army of cameras.

Quality was bound to suffer as he was burst from the first section at Leanachan to Town Hall Brae on Saturday.

I really don't know how he made it .

• Like 4

If you were looking for an enthusiast's documentary about the SSDT, you were always going to be disappointed. As a programme designed for a Dave audience, I thought it was extremely good. Yes, it would have been nice to see some of the front-runners cleaning sections instead of just Ross falling off, but I think we have to acknowledge the difficulty for the camera crews. There were also a few too many shots of Ross's face from the backward-facing camera on the handlebars. The Parc Ferme running gag was fine as it developed slowly and rose to a crescendo. Master Chef? I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

• Like 5

Yup, I found the second episode to be a bit of a downer, but the last episode was very good - might even rewatch it over the holidays :)

The detractors can always make their own enthusiast's doco if they want - there's lots of people making great stuff on youtube on a shoestring

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

If you were looking for an enthusiast's documentary about the SSDT, you were always going to be disappointed. As a programme designed for a Dave audience, I thought it was extremely good. Yes, it would have been nice to see some of the front-runners cleaning sections instead of just Ross falling off, but I think we have to acknowledge the difficulty for the camera crews. There were also a few too many shots of Ross's face from the backward-facing camera on the handlebars. The Parc Ferme running gag was fine as it developed slowly and rose to a crescendo. Master Chef? I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

Ah well you’ll not see the next variation on Dave if you do that?. Its already being repeated during the day?. They are sure to produce something along similar lines as they will make money out of it. Ross could well feature in an Enduro event or two, now that would show him in a different light and maybe we could see him in other motorcycle sports. Ross Noble does a one day club trial might also show him in a more enthusiastic light. ?