ACU Licence where your club is not ACU?

maggar

I ride trials at both North Lincs Classic club and Peak Classic club, neither of which are ACU clubs.

I would like to ride occasional "open" trials at various other clubs who are ACU but probably only a few each year.

Is my only option to join another club which is ACU to get the club code in order to get a licence?

the only way to get an acu licence is to be a member of the acu via a club..  how macclesfield do it for free i do not know.. who pays the affiliation?    after a quick google.. they do it looks like the club is registered like a business and the directors bear the losses and any profits not the members..

Edited by totalshell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, maggar said:

I ride trials at both North Lincs Classic club and Peak Classic club, neither of which are ACU clubs.

I would like to ride occasional "open" trials at various other clubs who are ACU but probably only a few each year.

Is my only option to join another club which is ACU to get the club code in order to get a licence?

Yes,, £10.00 well spent.

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 2

As you live near York you might want to consider joining Scarborough and District Motor Club as your ACU club. They have a fantastic practice area available to club members for an additional fee. See their website.

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, totalshell said:

the only way to get an acu licence is to be a member of the acu via a club..  how macclesfield do it for free i do not know.. who pays the affiliation?    after a quick google.. they do it looks like the club is registered like a business and the directors bear the losses and any profits not the members..

ACU clubs pay the ACU a small fee around October time, based on the number of members they declare, other than that, each member doesn't "cost" the club anything (unless the club chose to provide it - eg magazine, a club card, etc).

Several clubs around here have very cheap, or even free membership (eg to youth) as they "make" enough money from the events they run

PS if a club is "registered like a business" it *might* mean they have become a "limited company" to sensible limit the liability in the even of a ruinous legal claim. theoretically it is very risky running a club as an "unincorporated association". Many clubs have become "limited companies" to surmount this (there are other more costly avenue like charitable status). The key is is the company "not for profit" or *not* paying dividends to shareholders. Obvisouly if someone thinks they can run a business (ie for profit) running a trials club then bloody good luck to them!

• Like 1