280 txt Pro vs newer 300

robd0gg

hello friends..  I'm a long time enduro rider, and fairly new trials rider (1yr ish) and started on a 2006 280 txt pro..   I've upgraded to a 2014 300 factory replica (it's in transit, so haven't ridden it yet, but I briefly test rode the same model before around in a parking lot).  So I am a novice rider, 57yrs old, XXL sized, and have competed in two events, and dying to do more,  with tons of experience riding, but still learning the finesse it takes for this sport

I am wondering if one might recommend whether a flywheel weight, and/or a slow throttle tube would be of use in my learning, both of the sport, and given the increased displacement, and in light of my background..

I would say that I have heard, that the 300 is actually a bit softer off the throttle then the smaller displacement, and I can agree with this general statement, as I have owned small bore two strokes, and that has been my experience..  my KTM 250 for example, was quite a bit snappier, then my KTM 300. The 250 power was very controllable (no flywheel weight, but a G2 throttle tube), and quite easy to ride, but the 300 even more so.

opinions please..  I'm thinking I may not need to be too concerned,  but this sport is so different from other forms of riding.

In my humble opinion... put a 10 tooth front on it (stock is 11, which is ridiculous... it's the only trials bike geared so tall), then leave it alone. I started on a 300. You'll learn throttle and clutch control really fast, or you won't, at which point you can ice your backside and take a few minutes to put a slow twist throttle on it.

Between the gearing change and the slow throttle (if you go that way), it'll feel a lot more manageable. In the stuff that novices ride, I'm not really of the opinion that putting a 250 top end in it makes any difference. If you get it wrong, it doesn't really matter if you're on a 300 or a 250, either one is going to disappear out from under you equally quickly.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 2

My, aren't we argumentative this evening. The fact that I think a 10 is appropriate and you think a 9 is more so shouldn't really cause things to devolve into name calling.

To the original poster: feel free to try both, it'll only cost you and extra $21 or so.

• Like 1

Just pointing out the obvious that a replica is not a good choice for a novice. We just had a guy in our club ask the same question yesterday to me for the exact year. Funny thing is he lives just down the road and should have asked before rhe purchase. In fact I am still at yesterdays trials site and just pulled my loop.Maybe too much sun.:guinness:

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

I have a Gasgas 2014 300 racing that has the Stars adjustable capacity cylinder head fitted as standard, putting the low compression insert into it made a massive difference.

I also use the flywheel weight and a 10 tooth sprocket both also make a big difference to the way the bike rides.

Edited by collyolly
Spelling
  • Like 2

Try flywheel weight and 10 t sprocket, that's it. 

I can do every section (pretty well) in second now, even the very tight ones with the 10 on front. 

Edited by imexian
  • Like 1

The Factory Rep is a brilliant bike,the suspension is a lot better than what you had before.Definetly fit a slow action throttle and run it on the cloudy ignition map.10t front sprocket makes too much difference I feel,11/44 is better.Its not the best bike to learn on,I've just bought one and it takes some getting used to,it'll do anything if you're good enough.I recommend a lanyard kill switch too for when it does get away from you

• Like 1