Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

neils on wheels

Best ride in the Scottish: Tom Minta

12 posts in this topic

Doug Lampkin winning his 11th Scottish rightfully made all the headlines. He was however a firm favourite going into the week.

I'd like to congratulate Tom Minta on a fabulous and dare I say, less widely predicted result. Best first timer, 5th overall and best under 200cc, Tom rode the Scottish on a 125. Hands up all those clubmen who still think they 'need' a 300!

6 people like this

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Sure was an awsome ride on the wee bike,

The clubmen probably need a bigger motor than the good guys to lug them out of trouble when it goes wrong but I'll put my hands up.

I also thought the 4rts were total puddins up there didn't like the dry conditions one bit lucky if a couple made the top 50.

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, breagh said:

I also thought the 4rts were total puddins up there didn't like the dry conditions one bit lucky if a couple made the top 50.

They sure did - they do look like tanks compared to the 2T's in the sections 

5 hours ago, breagh said:

Sure was an awsome ride on the wee bike,

The clubmen probably need a bigger motor than the good guys to lug them out of trouble when it goes wrong but I'll put my hands up.

So I take it you didn't watch Carlos Casas breeze up a pile of sections on his 300 4rt? Fact is there were no 'big names' on a 4rt. It's all about the rider, not the bike. Dougie would have won on any current make including a 4 stroke. If you want a bike to flog over a long distance you'll still struggle to beat a 4rt

Brilliant ride from young Minta, though it's not like it's the first time he's ridden up there.....I'm saying nothing :D

Posted (edited)

Why didnt he ride his 300, the bike he rides every other day of the year, and try to win it? Pot hunting much?

Edited by faussy

Pretty sure Toms not yet old enough to ride anything over a 125 on the road. Think you gotta be 19 to get a full licence.

42 minutes ago, crashmonkey said:

Pretty sure Toms not yet old enough to ride anything over a 125 on the road. Think you gotta be 19 to get a full licence.

It's 19 for an A2 license (up to 48hp, IIRC)

Yes a good result.

Also id say clear second place Jack Price (19) was worthy of mention but again Dougs single dab ride over shadowed that.

2 people like this

17 hours ago, crashmonkey said:

So he is old enough...

It has not been uncommon over the years for manufacturers to put someone out on a specific machine different to the rider's norm where there is a capacity award.  The pot is there to be won so they go for it.

1 person likes this

the 225..... I mean 125....sure sounded good and not remotely similar to Jack Peace's bike. Still a good ride though by all accounts

1 person likes this