Gas Gas 95? 249

bigpie

Hi.

I've never owned a trials bike, but I've done an hour on a 125 at bumpy and it was quite fun.

I've been offered a Gas Gas from a colleague, he said it was running before he put it in the garage a couple of years ago. Possibly a 95.

Is it a good buy for just over £500? What should I be looking for? Common issues?

Thanks

received_10158503843155220.jpeg

received_10158503843135220.jpeg

It's a good deal if there isn't too much wrong with it.

check all wear items, especially bearings and forks where the costs can rack up. Get it running if possible before buying, otherwise you're taking a gamble.

Fork springs are known to crack and weren't available a couple of years ago when I had a 99 321. luckily custom made springs aren't too expensive.

Edited by totty79

Agree that it looks like a 1999 model. Although a heavy bike compared to the later 2002 onwards PRO Gas Gas models, the motor is well built with few problems. The water pump shaft/seal will wear allowing coolant to enter the gearbox. If this is the case, you would see the gearbox oil through the sight glass on the RHS looking a little milky white in colour as the mix emulsifies. If that has happened, it is very possible that the clutch fibre plates would swell creating a heavy action clutch which also drags. But, not a real problem, both the water pump shaft/seal kits and Sureflex clutch packs should be readily available from GG in the UK. Linkage bearings wear quickly and are easily available as a replacement kit set. The rest of the bike is fine wear wise.

Bye, Peter B.

Edited by peterb
Spelling

If it runs and doesn't make any horrible noises I would bite his arm off at £500, this bike will get you started on the basics and in a years time you can move it on.

Too many people spend too much to start in this sport and then get despondent when they can't replicate what Raga and Bou can do.

• Like 1

It's not been touched for 2 years, should I just try and kick it over when I go look later? Or pop spark plug out and pour a drop of 2 stroke oil in there? Never had a 2 stroke.

Perhaps the guy selling it knows about how to get it going, if it's not run for a couple of years I would not expect too much, it may need the carb cleaning and a general check over, don't try to start it unless you are  sure the carb slide is fully returning.

Check that it sparks,if it does clean the carb as already suggested,drain the tank and refill with fresh .Clutch is probably stuck,free it by pulling clutch in,engage top gear and pull it backwards,you should feel it free.Brakes might be sticking but no big deal 

So, I bought the bike. I took the front forks off and got it in the back of my nissan note with ease.

I didn't try and start it when looking it over, it had a good spark, all bearings are good. Fairly new chain and sprockets. Lower suspension has a fair bit of up and down play though. Tyres are fairly new and I was surprised they'd not cracked.

Brought it home. Drained the tank. Pulled the carb and gave the jets a blast with air. The fuel strainer was clogged so I gave that a blast too.

Reassembled and give it a kick and it fired straight up. Exhaust seems to have a few places where it's leaking and it's a little louder than I'd like, but it seems like a good buy. I'll have to research my options with that.

Callipers are a bit gunky so they'll need a clean up, I'll change coolant and brake fluid while I'm at it.

What oil is recommended for the gearbox? Also what ratio is recommended for the fuel?

It's road reg too.