pete kirby belt driven clutch

turbo

Hi , as above my cub has one of Petes clutches .Question is does anybody else run one these with an Armac lightener ?, I can't seem to be able to get the action right ,if I  adjust so as the bike will kick start ok this results in there not being enough leverage to disengage properly . Iam having doubts that this type of clutch will work with the said llightener . Any feedback or help would be great .  Thanks .

Hi Martin, the clutch action is controlled by a dished spacer at the back of the clutch pack and there are different sizes with more or less curve on them. These can make the clutch sharper or softer in take up. Best having a word with Pete and describing what's happening.  They don't need a lightener

Edited by woody
typo

Thanks, yes I think thats the case ,with Petes clutch you don't need an Armac lightener ,but I have ! as its on the bike . Dave thanks , yes I will talk  to Pete and planned to anyway . I seem to remember the dished spacer that you speak of . Looks like I may have to get rid of the Armac mod . I rode a trial on sunday and spent the day slackening off the clutch at the lever to be able to start the bike and then having to wind out to be able to get a useable action again . Its as if the Armac mod ends up making the clutch action TOO light !. 

Duncan MacDonald uses both on his Cub. 

I'm just building my Armac Cub now and will have the same problem as you as I have an Armac Clutch Lightener fitted and plan to fit a Pete Kirby Clutch Kit. 

I've seen Pete Kirby clutches withstand massive abuse on sidecar outfits on the Miller rounds,so I have no doubt they are tough,but are they all belt drive or does he do chain as well ? The clutch on my C15 slips in higher gears,but I've only ridden one trial on it so far and not had time to rip it to bits and see whats what.Not bothered by having a featherlight clutch as I don't use it much,just want something reliable. Will I have to empty some jam jars of old pound coins...

Hi Jon , yes the clutches are a great bit of engineering and are all belt drive (I think ) ,you will never get slipping issues with one either . I have spoken to Pete who is a really helpful chap and he has given me some pointers . It looks like as suspected the problem is with the actuating mechanism . Cheers .

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Turbo,

i too have had the exact same problem with my cub, Pete Kirby clutch and a clutch lightening kit from Armac's arch enemy!

i too had a too light clutch action, so much so that it would not pull the clutch lever away from the handle bar. Even when using the inner most of the adjusting holes on the arm.

i resolved the issue by re routing the cable to the right hand side of the cylinder, making a new anchor point for the end of the outer ( see a Honda single engine for inspiration) and using the inner most of the lightening holes in the arm to actuate the clutch.   

It works, and the clutch cable has a much smoother run..

cheers Trev.

Pleased to report all is sorted with the clutch. Pete is a really helpful chap and wants the best from his product ,after a couple of checks etc it seems that the Armac set up does provide enough lift (about 1.5 mm ) to operate the clutch . The Belville washer was removed from the set up and hey presto it is now superb ,I can honestly say it is as good as a modern bike ,no slip, good feel ,and really light . Ref trialsrfun , no tensioner needed , not sure about belt life but I believe there has never been an issue , there are no sprockets ,no chain. regards martin .

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

2 hours ago, markfromworksop said:

Can anyone tell me how to get in contact with Pete Kirby or where I can purchase his clutch conversion from for a cub.  Also does anyone have any pictures of this setup.

Mark…

Pete.....  07886745942 

I see you're in Worksop..... 

• 2 years later...