One for the history buffs: Did any 247C's come with red frames?

iconic558

Been poking around the Cota 247C (1978) and it would appear that this bike may originally of come with a red frame.... although the top coat is currently black.

Now I do know that some manufacturers used some odd primers. Take SWM, they used blue primer for black frames (and maybe black for Pernod frames being Italian:P) so maybe Montesa could of used a red primer?

Also, I sell cars for a living and sometimes the factory 'undercoats' are really quite strange compared to the top finish coat....bright whites under reds, yellows unders greens and blacks etc.

Any ideas from the forum 'Montesti'...I read that in an early 70's test of an old 247^_^

cheers

Edited by iconic558

Definitely no  - the 247c came with a black frame only, could be red undercoat/primer as you say but where the paint has worn on mine there's no sign of that, however the impression I have of Spanish quality control at the time is that whatever was handy/cheap/conveniently available from the back of a lorry would get used. Only Monts I know of with non-black frames  were, I think, a 349 in the 1980s which had a sort of gunmetal grey finish, red-frame later models in the 80s, and some years of early 247s which had white frames.

Edited by cleanorbust