Another American Fool........

uhoh7

I live in Ketchum, Idaho which is single track heaven, near the ski resort of Sun Valley (where I've taught skiing for 22 years)

Last few years I've been all over the place on my 04 YZ250F. We have gads of highly technical single track which tend to leave my YZF stinking, hehe.

This year I am upgrading to a KTM 250SXF, and the thing was backordered forever driving me mad.

Having read all there was to read on every forum, etc on the KTM, I began to get bored.

Now back in 1976, I was recovering from a very nasty crash on my RM250, and bought a RL250 exacta, which I rode quite a bit and even competed on.

So I started looking at trials bikes.........alot.

In a truly american fit of impetuosity, on a par with invading some country I knew nothing about, I ordered a 06 300pro. It arrives tuesday.

As I now read on this forum, it may not have been the best choice, hehe. But it is a done deal.

Many of the places I want to take it to are well......out there. Way out there. DOn't get me wrong, this is not a replacement for the SXF, it arrived today out of the blue!!!! But I do want to take the GG out into the nastier wilderness trails. We are talking very rocky single track, so rough it is unpleasant on an enduro machine.

Of course I have been watching the duluth videos and want to learn to hop, zap and splatt, as much a middle age man can.

Now I read that I better be damn careful shifting or I will break this little beast. I am commited at this point and will import a new large tank and seat for the thing. But I'm hearing the GG is not particularly fond of long rides. What can I do to make it last?

a taste of idaho....

jimmysmithweb.jpg

warerfall.JPG

High_Creek.jpg

wromg_trail.jpg

Edited by uhoh7

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a scenery, wauw.

It looks a bit like the south of France.

Technical stuff i say.... real enduro country.

Oops i forgot. You were asking about yr trials bike turning it into a trails bike ;)

I ride a enduro husqvarna 250cc 2stroke, and one thing i don't like of my GG is the suspension. When i drive my GG fast it scares the hell out of me. The suspension is way too fast. Trials suspensions are made for working at walking pace not at the running pace we travelling over these paths.

You cld however modify the front suspension rather easy, but you have to go into them. (perhaps heavier oil cld do the job but i doubt that) So more damping control wld be my 2 cents. The rear shock cld do the job turning the clicker in till you find it statisfied.

Edited by gasgas

I'm jealous!

I was really pleased to find a new venue on the Cotswolds to hold a trial which is 50yds x 500yds. Just look at those views.

Gonna go and cry now.

ps I believe there is a thicker head gasket available for the 300 which softens it down a little, also grease the rear suspension linkeage right now and do it a couple of times a year without fail. Once they squeak they are shot and they cost a fortune.

uhoh7, Awesome pics! Damn that's some fine terrain. The 300 is going to be perfect. As r2 said, keep fresh, clean ATF in the tranny and remember that this isn't an enduro, so powershifting is not on the menu. It sounds like your pretty experienced and presumably have some mechanical aptitude, so you won't have any trouble with your Pro. Once you get some of those trials techniques down you'll find you'll be pushing that 250F a lot less ;)

you guys are so cool :P

worth it to get back into trials just for a forum like this.

I have lots of questions and I will put up some more pics soon.

My new enduro to be KTM 250SXF arrived today and I broke it in. It is a real maserati....jeez. I love it. Hope it doesn't blow up, hehe. The build quality is outrageous.

There is snow on the ground here, but we do have a winter riding area that is quite good about 1.6 hours to the southwest. Lots of loamy stuff just above the snake river. So I have to get up early and drive back there tomarrow and see if I can make something go wrong with the little austrian beast before the 30 warranty runs out.

How do afford all these bikes? I own stock in haliburton, hehe. Not really. KTM has a deal here: no payments no interest till july 06. I will sell the trusty yammi and save the rest. Bought the gas gas in leui of a sunny vacation.

Now I just have to stay healty.

You are all welcome to visit any time...seriously.

all the best.

PS grappling hook? hehe, We actually were going the opposite direction on that little traverse, after 3 hours battling willows, boulders and cow****e. It was dusk and the truck was a LONG way away. We were so relived to get out of the creek that the traverse seemed like a freeway, but I was...well quite focused. The side hill was soft soft at least we were unlikely to be hurt, but the bikes were going to the lake for sure. I was trying to think if I knew any scuba divers....Made it to the truck at midnight, climbing a big pass with my battery powered HID helmut light...my bud had to make due with a forest service headlamp.

big_creek_.JPG

Here we are looking accross from the other side of the lake and you can see the long creek we desceneded from the high ridge in the background. The truck is about 35 miles away. 12 hour ride.

OK OK 2 quick questions:

I have BelRay H1R Synthectic 2-stroke oil: what should be my mixture during break in on the pro?

I have Torco MTF-L Light viscostiy syn-blend 2-stroke transmission oil (75w) API GL-4: is this OK to start with in the tranny?

TY guys :D

Edited by uhoh7

Hehe, luckily the fornt wheel was installed already. Took me 30 minutes to figure out how to get the springs on the foot pegs properly.

God you gotta love that big ol radial on the back!

I put 400cc of GM autotrack 2 in the tranny and my breakin mix is about 55:1. Does that sound right?

Can I ride it bit before I grease the stem and swing arm, or should I do that imediately?

What grease do you recomend?

It also came with an extra front sprocket 10 tooth, I think it has an 11 on now.

Man, a 10 woould really let it putt......

Dropped tire pressure to 5 lbs front and rear: do you run the same in both?

I love the thing.....thank god there is a forum like this to help me use it! :D

Edited by uhoh7